Chapter Twenty

Trigger warnings: talks of abuse, talks of murder, talks of trauma.

A week later, we're all sitting in the library. Jovi and I had been spending the better part of the morning painting, and the proof is all over our clothes. Vix sneaks little smiles my way as she reads. Finley busies herself rolling yarn into balls, though why, I wasn't sure.

"Hey, guys, someone's here for you," Delilah says, peeking her head in with a smile. She opens the door further, revealing Vita and Sevas.

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask, running over to hug them.

"Well, a little birdy told us that you were back," Vita says, poking my side. I can't help but laugh, swatting her hand away. "So, now that we're here, I figured we could all go into the village for a bit."

"Ooh, can we?" I ask, turning to Jovi. She laughs.

"Yeah, why not?" I grin.

"Before we go, can I have a moment alone with Echo?" I play with my sleeve, knowing what she wanted to talk about. My mates leave, Sevas and Delilah following them. Vita sits in one of the armchairs, so I sit across from her. "Why haven't you talked to them about the stone man?" I pick at one of the loose strings on the chair.

"Things are still rocky with me and Jovi, and Vix and I are still really new. I don't want to scare either of them away."

"I get that, but Echo, you haven't been sleeping since it happened. You really should talk about it with them." I sigh.

"And tell them what? That I killed a man with a power I didn't even know I had? One I don't know how to control? That I'm terrified that I might accidentally do it to one of them?"

"Yes, that's exactly what you should tell them. You could ask Jovi to check for DNA for Medusa's offspring, use it as a little segue into the conversation about your powers."

"Is that what you think I am?"

"Well, she could turn people to stone if they looked into her eyes. And that's what you did. But whatever it is, it's probably pretty diluted in the gene pool, because you've only done it once, when you were attacked, rather than any time someone sees your eyes." I hum.

"So, was that it?" She smiles softly, looking down at her lap.

"Actually, I was going to tell you and Jovi together, but I think you could use some good news right now." She looks up, still smiling. "Sevas and I are going to have a baby."

"Oh my god, really?" I ask, unable to contain my grin. She grins right back at me.

"Yes, and we'd like to ask you two to be the godparents." I pull her into a hug.

"I'm all for it, if you're sure."

"I am, absolutely." I grin at her before a question crosses my mind.

"How are you guys going to have a baby?"

"Sevas is trans," she says simply.

"Oh. Were you guys trying or..." Vita laughs softly.

"We've been trying for years, actually. We almost gave up hope when the test suddenly came back positive."

"How far along are you?" She smiles again.

"About a month and a half."

"When will you know what you're having? As one of the godparents, I think it's my responsibility to make sure your baby gets some cute clothes," I laugh. She chuckles, shaking her head.

"Not until I'm about five months along. But I'll let you know as soon as I do."

We spend hours in the village, long enough for everyone but Jovi and I to go home to rest. Her and I stay in the tattoo shop. She was getting her tattoo touched up, and I was getting a tattoo over my entire back, wanting the scars from the whip to be covered. I needed to move on from it.