09 - cruel summer

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

𝑹𝒊𝒄𝒌

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

EVERYTHING ABOUT IT feels sinister, rolling around the parking lot and spying on Carter as he exits the car. Sabrina's by his side, her giggles loud and clear.

It's frustrating, it truly is, to know that I didn't make her laugh this much. What is it that she sees in him? It's what I keep wondering to myself.

I feel my body heat rise in this black hoodie I'm wearing, with Brent holding his gaze on Carter like a hawk and Damon struggling to catch his breath. He takes out his pump and inhales.

Carter leaves with his shining hand, clearly from sweat on Sabrina's waist as she swings her hips from side to side, trying to walk like a supermodel in her black dress shoes.

Brent raises two fingers in the air, swinging them towards Carter's car, a signal for us to make a move on our so-called "target."

"Dude, stop acting like we're in a spy movie or something," Damon says, rolling his eyes. Brent halts and stares daggers at Damon, who cringes at the expression.

Even though Brent doesn't want to admit it, we know he's fascinated by secret agents and the CIA. Also, he secretly watches spy movies, thinking that none of us have a clue, but we just shut up about it to not disturb his peace.

We make a move toward Carter's car—Damon taking two toilet paper rolls with a can of shaving cream out of his pockets, Brent with two cans of spray paint, and me with a black marker. "Let's do this," says Brent, standing from his hunched position. He shakes the can, walking close to Carter's car, ready to spray the car. "Time to teach that dic—"

"I don't know," I mumble, still hunched, eyes lowered to the ground and face hidden behind my hoodie.

"What?" says Damon.

"I suddenly think that this isn't right." I stand, staring at both of them, confusion written all over their faces.

"Stop being such a baby, and let's get on with this," Brent proceeds, shaking the spray paint can.

"No," I state. "This is wrong, stupid, and cowardly." I rest the marker back in my pocket. "This all out of jealousy for losing Sabrina, and it isn't Carter's fault. It was Sabrina's choice."

"What are you rambling on about, man?" asks Brent.

"That it's time for me to let her go. I've had a hard time accepting it, but I have to." I gaze back toward Brent's green eyes, tears threatening to spill out. "And I guess the only distraction from this is that stupid dare you gave me."

"At least we don't have to do this anymore." Damon places the rolls, and the can back in his pockets.

Brent's frustrated expression turns to a grin. "Now we're talking." He places the cans in his pockets, walks over to me, and pats my shoulder. "We only have five minutes before the bell to discuss your first move for the day."

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

𝑴𝒂𝒚𝒂

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

My eyes wander everywhere, wondering where Jenna is and why she was crying. After seeing her face, yesterday's scene came back to my head like a creep who doesn't want to leave me alone. But it didn't stop me from worrying about her.