12 - sparks

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

𝑴𝒂𝒚𝒂

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

JENNA STRUGGLED TO hug the horror away. I could make it out from how the pits of her eyes how stared into space, reaching deep into the vicinity of her memories. Cold, fresh memories that have scarred such a sweet girl. Scars caused by someone whom I can only begin to call a monster.

I found her in the girls' locker room this morning after pep rally when I'd come to put my gym clothes in my locker. She was huddled in a little corner of the room, wrestling with herself, trying to hug every inch of her petite body in hopes of disappearing.

The minute I saw her, my legs moved to her before I could even think to do so myself. I questioned and begged her, but she couldn't find it in herself to tell me. She was too afraid.

"This is about Mr.Allen, isn't it?" I rest my hand on her soft, luscious hair and caress it. "I think it's him because... I caught both of you making out in the teachers' office," Jenna directs her widened eyes to me in shock, her breathing getting shorter and heavier by the second. She squeezes my arms with evident fear coursing through her bones.

"You can't tell anyone what you saw," she begins, letting go of me and clasping her hands together. "Please, if you do, my life will be ruined,"

"What did he do to you?"

She swings her body back and forth, "Why do you care?"

"You can't expect me to leave you like this,"

I whirl her face for her to look at me, "Jenna, you have to tell me what's wrong."

"I —we," she starts but shakes her head in despair. "I can't tell you,"

"Well," I said. "Just because you can't tell me doesn't mean that I won't complain about Mr. Allen to the office,"

"You don't have any proof against him. No one will believe you,"

"We've got to at least —"

"Hey," she stares at me with a scrutinizing look. "Let me be, okay?"

"What?"

"I said leave me alone!" She tightens her lips. "I never asked for your help, so stop bothering me, OK?"

"Jenna..."

"GO AWAY!"

I hesitate but leave anyway. I keep looking at her as I make my way out of the room, pain and worry tugging at the strings of my heart.

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

𝑹𝒊𝒄𝒌

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

The music's beat, track, and lyrics resonate in the tiniest threads of my ears. I place one of the hanging earphones in my other ear, close my locker, and head to the locker room.

I don't resemble a pretty boy with this black eye imprinted onto my face, but who cares? Connor came to me this morning, offering me a fake ass apology and thinking everything was back to how it was between us.

He didn't apologize to Damon, who deserved it the most.

Sometimes, I think Connor's being racist toward Damon because he's black, but Connor isn't different from him either. He's ashamed of being Korean. I don't know if the others can see it, but I do.