24 - summer in july

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

𝑴𝒂𝒚𝒂

~━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━~

DISAPPOINTMENT SETTLES IN my belly like a stone. I should've expected it, from Brent's disinterest the last time to Clara's annoyance. I clutch my banner between my palms, fuming because I am the only person in our group who has done the assigned work in our group. I exhale and inhale as they all blurt out excuse after excuse. It's okay, we've still got time till our submission date. There's no need to worry.

"As I said, I had this really important meeting I had to attend. It's football-related. You ladies wouldn't understand," explains Brent, a smirk on his face, green eyes gleaming with pride.

"And I had to go to a doctor's appointment. My leg is my top priority right now," pouts Cara.

"Seems to be that Maya is the only one who did the work," sighs Camille.

"It's okay," I subtly smile. "There's still a lot of time to complete the work before the due date,"

Brent turns his eyes to me and gives me an eerie look before he laughs a very awkward-sounding laugh, "Strawberry girl here is right. I like your energy,"

No one joins Brent in his laughter as it mixes with the chatter cornering every part of the café. I know I said I was excited to work in a group, but I guess my hopes were a little too high that now my spirits have gone to the lowest of lows. The people in this group bring with them a sort of discomfort that can make one's skin prickle. "Thank you," I say with my barest of smiles.

"Any progress with the graphics, Monica?" questions Camille.

"No, I'm halfway through, but I'll be done with them soon enough," she responds, unsure of herself.

"Go ahead and explain what you've worked on so far, Maya," says Camille.

Letting go of the strand of hair I had curled with my finger, I clear my throat and explain what companies I've used and their research data which we will be using as a basis for our presentation. Between me reading my notes, Clara keeps smacking her glossy lips and Brent yawns, leaving only Monica and Camille to pay attention to me. I blow out air from my lungs, throwing out signs of frustration, and breathe positive vibes back in. Camille sets another date for us to meet at the café again to discuss more for our presentation.

She doesn't hide her distaste and repeats herself to ensure Brent and Clara have gotten word of it. The two don't waste time getting up from their seats and heading out the door as soon as she's concluded. As I stare at their backs, I keep cheering myself with the fact that it's probably just school and football stress getting to them, and they'll come around. All will be well until something kicks at the back of my head as Camille's form passes me with a swift move.

"Umm, Camille, you're driving to school, right?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Would you mind giving me a ride?"

"Monica, do you also need a ride?"

Monica nods, pushing up her spectacles before she casts her eyes to the floor. When I turn to look at Monica fully, it dawns on me that I haven't given this girl so much as a second thought simply because Brent and Cara's actions have been taking half the space in my mind and the other half by Rick, but it's whatever. She rarely says much and keeps to herself. I hope she has friends.

She pushes her long black braids from the front of her face, a new hairstyle from the last time we met as a group, and her oversized hoodie engulfs half of her tall, willowy figure. We begin a staring contest as she stares up into my eyes, and there's a curious glow evident in them as we both wait for Camille's response.