1

-Chapter one-
-Night in New York-

****

As I cautiously walked through the dimly lit depths of the exclusive club, a shiver of anticipation coursed through my veins. The air hung heavy with an eerie aura, I could tell there were secrets in every corner. The flickering club light cast shadows, revealing glimpses of many figures moving with graceful abandon on the dance floor. The place wasn't packed but it had a crowd. Majority of the people here were casually walking around with drinks in their hands, engaging in conversation or throwing money at the many strippers.

This wasn't the VIP section but it excelled in comparison to the majority of clubs VIP section I've been to in the past.

Gracefully I walked over to the bar and slid onto a stool. A few bartenders were working. My eyes scanned for one that wasn't busy. "Hi, could i order a glass of champions, preferably Dom Pérignon. if you have that", i used my most elegant toan. The bartender smirked, then threw a towel over his shoulder.

"Professional aren't you", i tilted my head to the side a little placing my forearm on the counter. "I try" I converse. His head went from side to side in a playful manner, this guy was cute. "I'm gonna need your card" he responded, his eyes traveling to my purse. Wait what? My card, why'd he need that. "Oh" I began "umm i don't have my card but I have cash. Do you guys take that?"

"No I'm not referring to your credit card I'm referring to your club card, your club card has credit in it you know that right?" He questioned, his eyes pitching over to the security for a second. Why didn't Jasmine tell me this, I looked foolish. "Yeah, yeah i knew i just forgot for a second" i laughed it off while quickly reaching into my purse for the card I'd collected at the door.

I placed it face down and slid it over to him. His brows shot up in realization, "oh you're a newbie, that explains", i offered a tight lipped smile while watching him carefully, you can't trust anyone not to spike your drink. He reached for a machine from somewhere below and scanned the card before handing it back to me.

A minute later my drink was ready. I collected it with a smile, "thank you"

"At your service" he responded. I smiled then finally decided to scan the place. I caught sight of a few men looking at me, they looked twice my age and their eyes carried a look I would describe as a look of death. I could tell from their eyes that they've seen a lot in their lives. A shiver ran down my spine and I quickly turned back to face the bar.

"They can only look" my head shot up to look at the ginger guy with a questioning look on my face, "they're making you uncomfortable but I'm assuring you they can't touch you, it's kind of a rule here" he began wiping down the little water on the counter.

I was curious, wasn't that supposed to be a rule at all clubs? But yet people still get rape and harassed at many night clubs so what makes him so sure that they wouldn't try? I pressed for information, "isn't that a rule at all clubs?" I chuckled trying to make the seriousness of my question not too harsh.

"Yeah, you know what, I think I just heard someone call me, I'll be back if you need help" he said, his voice tinged with unease. With a hurried glance, he quickly moved to the next side of the bar, leaving me behind. There was an unmistakable fear in his eyes, a silent message that he held knowledge he couldn't openly share. It was as if a weight rested on his shoulders, preventing him from speaking freely about what he knew.

An uneasy feeling washed over me also as my mind registered his actions.

I shrugged and picked up my drink, for some reason Jasmine hadn't said anything since I walked through the door. I swiveled on the stool, adjusting my position to face the vibrant dance floor. Above, the balcony loomed, housing the exclusive VIP section, granting those perched up there a clear view of the lower level where I sat. Aware of their watchful eyes, I discreetly avoided meeting their gaze by intentionally shifting my focus towards the left side of the club.