9

-Chapter Nine-
-Last Day Here-

****

Placing my leg across anyone who slept beside me had become a habit that developed when I was just eleven years old. It originated from the times when I would have nightmares and wanted my mother to stay in my room to comfort me. However, she would often wait until I fell asleep before returning to her own room, leaving me feeling alone. In an attempt to prevent her from leaving and disturbing my sleep, I started placing my leg over her, hoping she would stay put.

But now, as I woke up to find myself in a similar position with Leonardo, I felt guilty. I had unconsciously moved all the way to his side of the bed, lying beneath his arm with my head resting against his ribcage. I couldn't tell if he was asleep or not, but judging from the gentle rise and fall of his chest, I assumed he was most likely sleeping

Speaking from the future; he was asleep but woke up the minute I tried to move away from him.

In the presence, I'm currently standing awkwardly beside him at the top of the stairs, overlooking the area below as multiple men- let's call them soldiers, moved around with guns strapped to their bodies.

Miguel was here again, he was giving orders and dispatching them into groups of five. The men followed his instructions without question or objection, while both Miguel and Leonardo observed from above. I, too, watched the scene unfold, although I didn't hold much relevance in this particular situation.

It seemed to be the hour after lunch, judging by the fact that I had eaten a little while ago. My appetite had returned a few days ago, so that was no longer a struggle.

Miguel called out for someone, and the name caught my full attention. I glanced down and, as expected, my eyes landed on the same Latino, Sam.

"You will be following their vehicle," Miguel revealed, gesturing towards the stairs where we stood. Sam's gaze traveled up the stairs, briefly meeting mine before shifting to Leonardo. He respectfully nodded his head before his eyes slowly returned to me. I offered him a slight smile, hoping Leonardo wouldn't notice. I couldn't help it; Sam had been like an angel among demons when I was locked in the cell room. He saw the good in me and knew I was innocent. He advised me to speak only the truth, assuring me that it would give me a better chance, and I was grateful to him. Sam looked away a moment later.

A shiver ran down my spine as a strong feeling of being watched washed over me. Instinctively, I looked beside myself. My heart sank as I saw Leonardo staring at me intently, his eyes examining me closely.

Throughout the time we stood there, this was the first time Leonardo broke his silence. He looked down and called out, "you." Sam somehow knew he was being referred to.

"Boss?" Sam responded, being the first person I remembered calling Leonardo "boss" instead of "capo," although they meant the same thing.

I observed as Leonardo scrutinized Sam for a moment before parting his lips to say, "You're going to Italy." I'm no mind reader, but it sounded like a threat to me. Why would he want Sam, who was clearly part of a Mexican group, in Italy?

I couldn't voice my concern or raise any questions, as it would only put Sam in a difficult position. So, I kept my mouth shut and pretended that it didn't affect me in the slightest.

Sam nodded, and after Leonardo signaled for him to refocus on Miguel, he did so. The room returned to its somewhat normal state. One thing I noticed, even when Leonardo, the boss, called for Sam, it didn't interrupt the others who Miguel was commanding. They continued their tasks without stopping or diverting their attention. I saw that as a sign of respect, a mutual respect between them.