Chapter 8: Mum's Secret

Nina's POV:

I rushed to the hospital. I saw my dad standing outside my mum's ward. He was crying. I had never seen him cry. I walked towards him briskly.

"Dad! What's wrong with mum?", I exclaimed.

The doctor came out at that time. He looked at dad and gave him a nervous smile.

"Mr Brown. We need to talk. Please come
to my office."

I followed dad and the doctor to his office. We sat down in front of him and he began to speak.

"I told you that Chole needed therapy but none of you bothered to listen to me. Do you even know what did your stubbornness did to her."

"What's wrong with mum doctor?", I asked. What were they talking about.

"Didn't you tell her Michael?", doctor asked dad.

He shook his head. I think it was something big.

"I'll tell her then. Nina dear, your mum is suffering from.... Brain tumor. And it's that serious that she wouldn't survive no matter how much we try. I extremely sorry but she has only a few days left. The maximum time she could live is three weeks.", the doctor answered me.

I couldn't believe my ears. What was this? Why didn't mum shared with me all this. She has only three weeks left with us? I hate myself now.

"But there should be a way that you could help mum right? Technology is so advanced nowadays. We could do something right?"

"There is a way. If your mum remains happy and positive, she will survive. I can tell you that. That way if we do an operation on her, she has chances of surviving. But for now whatever she asks both of you to do, please cooperate and fulfill her wishes."

I left the room immediately once the doctor stated talking to dad about mum's condition. I couldn't bear hearing all that.

I walked towards mum's ward and went inside. Mum was awake. I needed to talk to her. I sat next to her and looked at her angrily.

"Why didn't you tell me that you...", I mumbled.

"I didn't wanted you to become weak and worry for me unnecessarily."

"You did got me worried and weak now! You could have done some treatment right? Do you know how am I feeling now after hearing what the doctor told me?"

She looked away from me.

"Mum! From now on you need to listen to me! I want you to tell me whatever you feel like doing. Like your wishes."

Mum nodded. At that point, dad joined us.

"Mum tell me your first wish that you want me to fulfill."

Mum looked at me. She smiled at me.

"Dear.... Nina.... Will you get married at this age? For your mum?", she whispered.

"What mum!"

I think this brain tumor has made my mum mad! Did she lost it! I know it's rude to say this but she forced me to say.

"Dear... Every mother wants to see her daughter get married and I don't know what the future stored for me. So will you please do this?"

"Mum I will fulfill every other wish you ask but not this.", I shouted.

I didn't mean to be rude but I didn't want to get married.

"De-de-ar, could you just do this for your mum?"