15: millennia

15: millennia

"... master."

Uraume quietly called, making sure not to make any sudden sound. The curse sitting quietly on the throne made of human bones uttered no sound. "I... there is a female human who is searching for master, wishing to talk to you about... Master Shen." This time, those words elicited a reaction from the curse.

"... who?"

"She calls herself Long Baili."

"... surnamed Long..." Ryomen Sukuna mumbled under his breath. 

Once, that person mentioned his siblings and the one he mentioned most was the eldest sister he dearly treasured. Out of everyone, she was the only one who survived the catastrophe that harvested the lives of everyone else in their empire.

Long Baili. That female human must be his sister.

But fifty years had passed.

How old could this human be?

...

Sukuna sat behind a partition wall, separating him from the human on the other side.

"It is my pleasure to meet you," an old woman's voice reached Sukuna's ears. "This wall is no use for I know what and who you are. King of Curses, Ryomen Sukuna." The certainty in her voice held conviction. She was sure of his identity, and she wanted to speak with him face-to-face.

The curse nodded his head at Uraume, who soon folded the partition wall.

Ryomen Sukuna and Long Baili soon met face-to-face. The weak-hearted woman in that person's stories was no more. The aged woman sitting before him experienced a whole lot, showing wisdom in her gray eyes. She did not show fear but there was disappointment in her eyes.

"We wanted Shen'er to live a normal life," Long Baili began. "Because us elder siblings were faced with obstacles in growing up. When Shen'er was born, our youngest, we vowed to give him a life where he was free and spoiled and happy. We planned everything, from his childhood to his adolescence to his marriage."

She paused and noticed how Sukuna flinched for a fraction of a second. "We wanted him to have a normal family but the one he seems to have fallen for was not even human. Don't worry," Long Baili quickly said. "I have nothing against you, Ryomen Sukuna. I can see in your eyes how much you cherished him and will continue to hold him in the palm of your hands.

"But I wish that you and him had met in a more normal way, where none of you would bring danger to each other. Please forgive me for I have given Shen'er a reason to run away but—" Long Baili smiled, so soft and warm. "—that led to you meeting each other, did it not? I was weak and a coward, I feared my own brother. When I could not find him, I was wrought with worry.

"I'm happy he met you, truly. I have never seen him so happy ever since he dealt with that evil spirit."

"... seen?"

When Sukuna made his confusion show, Long Baili couldn't help but chuckle. "Shen'er was and forever will be the strongest shaman. A transmission talisman is not impossible for him. After a year Shen'er ran away from home, letters began to appear in his room... and all of them mentioned you. That is how I know you, King of Curses, Ryomen Sukuna—"

A soft sigh escaped her lips.

"—Shen'er's one and only lover."

...

A few days later, Long Baili passed away.

Her last request was to be buried where their Shen'er died, just so she could be with him even if they would never meet again. The letters their Shen'er left behind, Baili left them in Sukuna's hands to treasure.