Chapter 7

I pull into my parking spot and Joey parks next to me. I don't see Haylee or Abby's car yet. I get out and hand my volleyball bag to Joey for him to carry to my locker. We walk into Bristol High and we walk down to the lockers. I put my softball and volleyball bag on top of the lockers like always with all the other bags waiting for 7th period and after-school activities. I sit in the spot my friends and I always sit and wait for Haylee and possibly Abby. Joey is with Mike and a couple of other guys that play basketball. I finally see Haylee and Abby and they both walk over after putting their stuff in their lockers. 

"Hey! So we are back to normal?" I chuckle.

"Hell yeah," Abby says as she slaps my hand. 

Abby's eyes are puffy and red. I can tell she didn't try too hard to cover it up. She looks exhausted. I don't tell her that though. 

"I'm thinking about asking Mike out today," Haylee says as she sits across from me.

"What?" Abby asks her, oblivious. Obviously, Haylee hasn't told her yet, so I tell her.

"She likes Mike. I just found out too, don't worry," I say, laughing a little.

"Oh... interesting choice.." Abby says looking back at Mike in disgust. 

We all giggle but immediately stop once we hear a loud grunt and a banging sound on a locker.

"What the fuck, Shapiro?" Daniel yells, dusting himself off and then charging at Joey. 

We hear cheering for Daniel and some cheering for Joey in the background. Mike is teaming with Joey and pulls Daniel off of Joey. Joey's bottom corner of his lip is bleeding and Daniel just has messed up hair. 

"Why the fuck would you pick a fight with someone you can't beat, Shapiro? Huh? Speak up!" Daniel starts getting up in his face. I think about going over there but I'm frozen in place. 

"Don't ever talk to my sister like you did again, Daniel Blake or I swear to god," Joey says, getting ready to swing. His fists are clenched and his neck veins are popping out.

Daniel looks right over at me. 

Shit.