𝟏𝟔 - "𝐀𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞."

_______________________________

_______________________________XVI

XVI.
\\ SETTING SAIL //
_______________________________

REN WOKE with a start, her body surging up from a sleep she didn't remember entering. She breathed in deeply as she sat up, looking around the room to find it was still quiet and Zoro was still asleep in her bed.

Ren hadn't meant to fall asleep and she felt unease return to her, not knowing how long it had been or if Luffy had returned. She stood up from her chair, shaking herself off as she tried to wake herself up some more and brush off the sleep.

She couldn't believe she'd fallen asleep, even though she knew she hadn't gotten any proper sleep in almost two days. But she was supposed to be keeping an eye on Zoro and staying alert in case their ship was stormed by the Arlong Pirates. And she had fallen asleep.

Ren groaned, "Dammit."

She decided that she should probably go check in with Nami and see if Luffy had made his way back yet. If he wasn't back, she'd go looking for him to make sure he was okay. She gave one last shake of her muscles and then she glanced over at Zoro, hoping he'd be okay while she was gone.

But when she turned to leave, that was when she saw Luffy and Usopp in the doorway, and her heart skipped a beat. She looked them over, worried about if they were okay, and other than Luffy being soaked from head-to-toe, both he and Usopp showed no sign of injury. But they had walked in with their heads low, looking like defeat.

"Luffy?" Ren said in concern, "What happened? Are you okay?"

There was a pause between them, causing Ren's stomach to lurch. Something was wrong. It was written all over their faces. She looked to both of them, starting to grow very worried.

Then, Luffy finally answered, "Nami's gone."

She frowned in response, "What do you mean she's gone? Gone where?"

Luffy didn't respond, his eyes were not as bright as they usually were. He looked like he was still in shock and overwhelmed by sadness. When he didn't answer, Usopp cleared his throat, taking a step towards Ren.

"She left with Arlong," Usopp told her, "She's part of his crew."

Ren's lips parted, panic surging through her at the words.

"What?" She shook her head, "No, she can't—...there's no way..."

"She had the tattoo of his crew," Usopp continued, "Nami showed up, gave him the map to the Grand Line, and left with them."