[ 𝐁𝐨𝐧𝐮𝐬 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 ]

______________________________

DRUNKEN LAUGHTER filled the bar area of Baratie, the room full of its usual patrons of drunken and slightly rowdy sailors. The bartender, Vero, was multi-tasking between taking drink orders and serving the guests. Live music was playing across the room, and some of the sailors were singing along drunkenly.

Vero was cleaning a few glasses when he heard a loud bang against the counter, and when he turned around, he saw a man standing there, his eyes glaring and black. He gave Vero an uneasy feeling just by the look of him. After working at the bar of Baratie for almost a year, Vero could tell almost instantly what kind of pirate was standing across from him, ordering a drink from him. This one certainly gave the impression of one that shouldn't be messed with.

Clearing his throat, Vero placed the glass down and walked over to where the man stood, putting on a friendly smile. 

"Welcome sir," Vero greeted him, "How can I help you?"

The man leaned against the bar counter, giving him a cold stare that told Vero that he was here for a bigger purpose other than just getting a drink.

"I'm looking for a girl," He said, "Goes by Inoue Renara."

Vero immediately frowned, not recognizing who he was referring to. There were no female waitstaff with that name and he couldn't recall any patrons with that name either.

"Sorry, sir." The bar tender apologized, "I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that name."

That response was not what the pirate was looking for, and Vero immediately got that sense when his eyes darkened. He was beginning to ask himself what this girl had done to be sought out from a man like him.

"I got word she passed through here with a group of pirates," He said lowly, "Called themselves the Straw Hats."

Vero swallowed, recognizing the name of the Straw Hats. He knew that the Straw Hats had become allies of Chef Zeff and that Sanji had joined them. So now, the problem grew even more, because an ally of Zeff, was an ally of Baratie, and they stood with their allies.

Vero tried to sound convincing, "I'm very sorry, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with them ei—"

"I know they were here!" The man's voice raised significantly as he slammed his fist against the bar counter.

It was so loud that the whole bar area silenced. The music had stopped playing, voices had silenced to concerned murmurs, and all of the patrons were now looking directly at the man, worried looks in their eyes. The man backed away from the bar towards the center of the room, looking around with a blood thirsty look in his eyes.

"Someone here knows where she is! Someone knows where they went!" He yelled, "And mark my words, I will tear this entire place to pieces until someone comes forward! I will burn this place to the ground if I have to!"

Vero swallowed, unsure of how to amend the situation unfolding in front of him, but luckily, a voice appeared behind him, saving him from any more of the man's wrath.

"Pardon me, sir." Zeff stepped over, trying to calm the situation, "Can I help you?"

The man stopped, turning around to face the Chef, his eyes narrowing slightly at him. Zeff stood tall, showing no fear, as he did in the midst of any trouble that arose in Baratie.

"Who are you?" The man seethed.

Zeff replied calmly, "The owner of Baratie."

The man looked him over, as if he was deciding if their interaction would be a waste of time, and then after a moment, he took a step closer towards Zeff.

"Inoue Renara," He replied lowly, "Where. Is. She?"

Zeff hid the initial surprise well, keeping his mask of a respectable, unsuspecting restaurant owner.

"I'm very sorry, sir. I'm afraid I don't know anyone by that name. It gets harder to remember names and faces at my age." Zeff replied, "We get so many customers that pass through, it's hard to keep track. Might I offer you a bottle of our finest whiskey for your troubles?"

"You know her, Chef." The man replied with venom, "Why, she sang for one of your night shows in this very bar, not even a week ago. You really want to tell me you don't know who you employ in your establishment?"

The statement then became impossible for Zeff to deny. Surely he would remember someone he hired, and with as much information as the man had, he would know for sure if Zeff lied about not knowing her. He then became curious as to what the man could want with the young girl and the type of business he had with her.

Zeff picked his next words carefully, "And, might I ask, who is this girl to you?"

Zeff looked over the man, who's eyes were dark and hallowed out, almost as if the man was more dead than living. His dark hair was unkempt, falling just above his eyes. And peaking out from his shirt, Zeff spotted two deep scars across the man's chest. He could be a bounty hunter, Zeff thought, but also, he'd never seen a bounty hunter like this man.

Then the man looked up at him with cold eyes, a chilling smile stretching across his lips as his answer silenced Zeff and the rest of the bar.

"My daughter."

________________________________