CHAPTER 32

When she awoke, she was alone. A feeling she had grown custom to throughout the years. That's the way it seemed to always be. 

Not a single sound could be heard throughout the entire room. 

The air inside the now dark cell was thick with an oppressive silence, broken only by the occasional echo of distant footsteps in the stone corridor. Y/N sat on the cold, unforgiving floor, her back pressed against the damp metal bars, eyes fixed on the metal, barred doors that offered a sliver of light coming from underneath the crack in the floors. She could feel the weight of the heavy iron door, its rusty hinges groaning as it held her captive. Her mind was a swirling tempest of confusion and fear, but beneath it all, a fiery determination burned.

It was just as she thought she would be alone for the rest of the day, that those same doors opened, a familiar figure walking through. His tall, dark presence brought her comfort at the sight. 

Theo, the only person assigned to watch over her, paced just beyond the perimeter of where she was kept. No recollection of the night before imminent on his face. His footsteps echoed, bouncing of the walls of the lonely and dark laboratory, a rhythmic reminder of her captivity. His face was a mask of indifference, but Y/N could sense an undercurrent of conflict in the rigid set of his jaw and the tension that rippled through his frame.

At his slow but calculated approached, Y/N's eyes locked onto his. "Theo," she called, her voice cutting through the oppressive stillness.

He stopped, his gaze meeting hers, and for a moment, the world outside their confined space seemed to fade away. Y/N felt a shiver crawl down her spine, a mixture of anticipation and trepidation. She hadn't known Theo before, but from what he had learned from her time in confinement, he wasn't what he seemed

No one in here was. 

Each person she encountered, had the same goal, whether or not they were bred in this very laboratory to reach that goal or if they are here out of their own free will. They all wanted the information that she knew. 

And yet, so did she. 

"Theo, please," she implored, her voice a desperate whisper. "You know what they want from me. You know that I don't have it. I don't know what they want."

His eyes flickered with a conflict of emotions, and he looked away, breaking the connection. "It doesn't matter, Y/N. The orders are clear. Whether I agree or not, I only follow what they tell me to do."

Y/N's hands clenched into fists, nails biting into her palms. She knew the world beyond her cell was fraught with danger and secrets, and she was caught in the crossfire of forces beyond her control. But there was a spark within her, an unyielding belief that if she could just get through to Theo, she might find an ally in this dark, twisted game.

"Please, Theo. Think for yourself. Don't let them control you like this," she pleaded, her voice laced with desperation.

Theo's jaw tightened, and he resumed his pacing. "You don't understand, Y/N. There are things you don't know."

"Then tell me," she pressed, frustration and urgency bubbling within her. "Tell me what I don't know. Help me understand why I'm here."

He halted in his tracks, his gaze fixed on the ground. "I can't."

"Why?" Y/N's frustration edged into anger. "How can you just sit here and watch them use every weapon that they have, every torture mechanism that they choose to try and pry information from me that I don't even know myself. Everyday is something new, and everyday I leave the same."