3

(TW PURGING AND GORE)

50 cycles ago

In the large grounded city which was once roamed by ancients, has been ruled by a large group of slugcats... Or... A cult of them.

My mother is the cult leader. She doesn't have a mouth on her face but instead the mouth is on her tail so I guess everyone thinks she's a "god" and "ruler" or "savior" blah blah blah. Since I'm her daughter I have her genetics and the same stupid tail as her or whatever it's called.

I used to name my tail when I was smaller. Once it was Carolina and then it was daisy.

Now I call it dumb shit because I hate my mother and her genetics. I guess I shouldn't be bothering.

Inside the tallest building is also the darkest building but is lit up by dozens of lanterns everywhere.

She built me a small throne in front of hers and forces me to participate in rituals.

I don't want to be apart of this cannibalistic cult at all and I never wanted to.

I'm not allowed to make friends. Not even allowed to talk to the sacrifices.

My mother crafts little bowls out of gears and rubbish all around. I like to go outside on days there aren't any sacrifices. If I have to be honest, I feel bad for the sacrifices.

I've planned on running away but my mother killed me and I came back the next cycle locked in my room for a whole two cycles.

I guess when I was born my mother found no use in my "worthless" and "peasant like" father so she ate him. She keeps the bones of her sacrifices for jewelry and hangs the skulls on the walls which is really fucking weird and a very unpleasant sight but I got used to it I guess...

But a few cycles ago I snuck out after one of the sacrifices and I met a really nice girl just 90 cycles younger than me. She's green and told me she's 40 cycles old.

Her skin is perfect and beautiful and she's so bright and joyful.

Time has passed and she's become my best friend. Of course I kept her secret.

My mother is also picky with the blood types of her prey. If it's B she doesn't want it. But her favourite of all is AB. I guess there's also a rumor that there's another blood type called Z or something and my mother is desperate to find it because she believes it's the most delicious of them all.

I walk up to my mother and on to my throne, completely ignoring her.

She drinks blood from her bowl and rolls her wrist slightly, making it swirl in her bowl.

"Don't you think it's time you decide to stop ignoring me, my precious urban? You know what happened to your father, but of course you're just too valuable for me to simply devour..."
She scoffs and I roll my eyes, leaning my cheek on my knuckle.

Today is a ritual day and being forced to be a cannibal is disgusting. I'd rather be eating blue fruits right now.

I think of my friend and how she told me her name was maggie. Such a nice name. Sometimes I wonder how she survives out there alone.. but at least she's not been discovered by the cult yet. She deserves to live a long life.

The cult has also discovered that if a body is entirely devoured it can't come back the next cycle.

After the ritual ends I sneak outside and force myself to throw up the flesh and I wipe my mouth off. I go to sit by the small stream of water as I eat some blue fruits instead.

"urban!" I hear a soft whisper behind me and it's maggie.

"Hey Maggie!" I smile joyfully and watch as the snow starts to fall down. It used to rain but I guess it just snows sometimes. I haven't seen rain in a long time.

"Want a blue fruit?" I ask, handing one out to her.

"No thanks, I'm full." She answers politely and smiles.

"Urban?" She asks me.
"Yeah?" I answer.

"I wanna be friends with you forever!" She says happily and her bright smile spreads.

"Don't worry. We will. And I'll protect you from bad guys too!" I respond.

I hear a rustling from behind and I put my hand on Maggie's shoulder protectively.

My mother comes from the corner.

"Urban, precious..."

My eyes widen and my heart feels like it can stop at any moment. I know she's going to do something bad to Maggie. I keep overthinking and I start to panic internally but it's still visible in my eyes.

Maggie looks at our similarities. "Is that your mom? Urban?"
She doesn't notice the shock in my eyes as I'm turned to my mother instead of her.

A guard grabs Maggie from behind and I try to chase after her "NO!!"
but I'm quickly grabbed by another guard. I take my tail and bite inside of his stomach, ripping it out aggressively when another guard steps forward from behind and bashes a rock into my head.

In the next cycle I'm in my room and my mother sits by my feet. I'm hooked to my wall by my shoulders with spears. It hurts.

"Honey... You know I have to punish you for talking to strangers behind my back."

The "back" she said was aggressive and as she said it she kicked me in the stomach and I only flinched slightly since I'm used to being disciplined.

"But there's good news." Her tone immediately escalates into a fake friendly voice.

I simply stare at her silently.

"Your little 'friend' has the blood type we've been looking for... She's the perfect sacrifice don't you think?" She whispers in a devilish tone.

I try not to cry. "Please don't hurt her. She's my fr-"
She slaps me across the face "my daughter isn't and never will be friends with a lower life form!" She snaps.

Lower life form? How ridiculously arrogant.

____

Fifty cycles later Maggie was kept in a cell and used for blood sacrifices and has her body parts removed for special meals on special days. I never once ate any part of her or drank any of her blood. I simply can't. It's wrong.

Sometimes I'd even have to starve myself. It's been a habit now and I'm not allowed to go outside anymore unless I'm able to be sneaky enough.

One cycle though was a special day. A day where the entire tribe would be sent out to explore another region for search of sacrifices. My mother was asleep and I gathered the guts to sneak out of my room late at night where the snow was heavy.

I sneak into the room where Maggie's cell is. I've never actually seen her since she's been imprisoned.

Last cycle a large structure collapsed in front of our city and it should be a while until the tribe of guards finds their way back.

Maggie is covered in scars and two of her fingers on her left hand is missing, leaving her index finger and thumb to remain. Her left eye is scratched and blinded and her tail is missing.

Poor thing...

"U-urban?" She whispers.
"Shh. I'm freeing you. You need to run."

I hear footsteps coming up the poles of the large hallway of the sky scraper we're in. But right now we're on one of the lowest levels.

"NOW!"

I open her cell and the guards come in the room. She tosses herself out the window and begins to run away. I'm stabbed in the stomach and before my vision blacks out I see her run to an abandoned gate over a pile of rubble.