background

The cold, stuffy room is my home for three days. The ropes around my wrists seem to get tighter and tighter by the minute; dried blood stains my tan skin all over my body.

My head seems like someone is using it as a soccer ball, and my whole body screams out in pain. This is how the victims of Dakota Farnes felt in their last hours. 

Guilt fills my stomach; we could've been faster, and that guilt is now all over the floor and my lovely dress. I gasped for air, trying to fill my aching lungs from screaming. Reality hit me: I was going to die just like those innocent women. 

Tears fall down my stained cheeks, mourning those women. They were tied up in a chair in a formal dress, their hair and makeup done—all to be ruined by Dakota Farnes.

Through my glossy eyes, I look around my surroundings. It looks like I'm in a cabin away from society; animals are hung on the ceiling for decorations. I got that part correct in the profile; he is a hunter. Ragged grey curtains drape over the nasty windows; in front of me is a wooden desk covered in knives, axes, and other sharp tools that I can't make out. 
The smell is a mix of bleach, blood, and my own BO is starting to piss me off. It was unpleasant for three days; the bleach messed with my mind. I'm in very much need of a shower.

With every ounce of strength I have left in my body, I try to wiggle my sore wrist out of the rough ropes. 

"Come on," I quietly say to myself. No one else is here to encourage me. Got to be your own cheerleader. 

Suddenly, the dreadful noise of the locks is unlocking. He is coming. 

Show no fear, I constantly tell myself. Just play along. 

"Hello, my love." Dakota struts into the cabin, holding a basket of something. My eyes adjust to the lightning, and it is holding food. "I thought you'd be hungry. I brought you your favorite. Panda Express's orange chicken, with fried rice and an eggroll." The tattooed man says as he is pulling the items out onto the blood-stained table. 

Our profile stated he is in his late 20s to early 30s, tall, physically fit, tattooed, and treats a woman like a queen until they do something he doesn't like. 

His father left home because his wife became an alcoholic and an addict. He saw many men throughout his life. But his mother always treated him like shit. A few months ago, when the killings started, he proposed to his then-girlfriend. Unfortunately, it took a dark turn. Lillian Prescot said no because Dakota was too controlling and mentally going off in the deep end. 

Lillian Prescot was the first victim. She kept her life hidden pretty well, almost non-existent, until we found a secret Instagram account. 
He started killing women who resembled Lillian. Long dark hair, tan skin, Kinda tall, fit, and overall just beautiful. 

My team thought using me as a decoy was a good idea. The name I used was Juliet Holt. We started contact through Facebook and met at White Barn Wine. To have a fancy dinner. He placed something in my drink somehow, I blacked out, and now I'm here. Raped, hurt, and starving. Just play along with his fantasy. 

"Awe, thank you, honey, I love you. I want you to take some first, and then we'll have a lovely dinner together." I do not trust him, well obviously, "Yes, Juliet." He responds as he is fixing our plates. 

He pulls up a chair and a small tray table to place the food down. While doing all of this, he does it with a smile. How can someone be so evil, I wonder. 

"Here." He places some rice on the fork cautiously. I slowly open my mouth, and then a burst of men's voices fills the cabin. 

"GET ON THE GROUND NOW! LET ME SEE YOUR HANDS!" My chief yells at Dakota. 
"You set me up." Dakota sadly states as he is being put into handcuffs. I can't even say anything back to this monster. "I will kill you, Briella-ANNE!" he yells the second part of my name. The men are taking him away, and Chief Andrews comes and unties me. 

I can still hear the murderer scream my name in my dreams 

"Are you okay? Where are you hurt? MEDIC!" He yells for backup. I don't respond because of the pain and Dakota knowing my name. 

"Cheif, how does he know me?" I ask before I black out. 

silence