part 2

"What do you mean?" Worry fills my voice as my chief says I'm not returning to work.

"I'll check on you later." My doctor left the room, leaving us two agents together.

"Briella." When he says my name like that, it is not good.
"You're one of my best agents. My top agent in the academy. I greatly respect you, but after what happened, I advise you not to return." He is lying, well, half lying. The beginning is true, but his personal advice is bullshit.

"I do not understand. You just said I am one of the best, and you have respect. Why kick me off?" I try to stay calm. "Do not bullshit. Tell me the truth." I narrow my green towards the man. He sighs in defeat.

"You didn't make the connection between the victims to Dakota. Especially, Lillian, that should've been our only victim, but no, you screwed up, and it cost four other women in the span of a month. What do you have to say for yourself?" he is fuming that's rare.

"Are you kidding me? You're getting onto me when other people were on the case with me? Probably because we were trying to find her background, which took forever. Our tech analysis sucks. You worked me like a fucking dog. More than usual. I'm done. Just leave I don't need you." I flip him off, and he does as I say.

Again, alone in my thoughts.

"Hey, so I heard what happened. I'm very sorry, but it could be for the best." Cathrine walked into the room again, but she had some jello in her hands.
She opened the red one and handed me the cup of deliciousness with a spoon while she ate the green ones. She curls up into that green chair again.

"What am I going to do? I just lost my job; mom won't care for me." Sadness takes over, and tears form in my eyes.
"Like I said earlier, I will take you in. Chief Andrews and I had a talk before he came in. So that's why I said I'll take you in. He told me what he was going to say." She slurps up some jello.

"I'm assuming the plan is for me to get out of the hospital, pack my apartment up, and go to your circus house? No offense, I love my nieces and nephews, but I can't always deal with kids." We both chuckle because we both know it's true.
Kids are nightmares to me sometimes. I'll be ready one day to have kids, but not now.

"I understand. Peters's sister has an apartment in Quantico. You met her Jane. She has offered her apartment to you." She pauses
"But what about the rent and the other bills? I do not have that money. Well, I do right now, but I'm unemployed." I snarl at the memory of just a few moments ago.
"Peter has a bar, not just an ordinary bar. A karaoke bar. You can sing and play your guitar and also be a bartender. Baby steps, though." She responds.
I put my empty cup of jello on the nightstand
"I can't sing. You know I have stage fright." I shiver at the thought
"Bitch, please. You would rather go into an abandoned building filled with armed men ready to shoot you. Then go on stage. You have an amazing voice. You could get discovered." She gives me that 'bitch be for real look'
"Damn, you got me there. I must dust off the strings and start practicing, but I'll do it." I sigh in defeat.
She giggly claps her hands together
"Yay! It'll help the business, and it'll help you overcome your stage fright and work that doesn't involve getting shot at." We both laugh and open another cup of jello.

THREE MONTHS LATER

"Jane, thank you so, so much for letting me invade your apartment." I joke with the girl. She helps me to carry my bags and boxes up the stairs because the elevator is broken.
"No problem." She gasps for air; I am fine. You must stay fit for my line of work, my old job. I had to do some crazy stuff.

"Man, level three seems like an eternity away." She still has her sarcasm even when Jane is tired.

In the three months I have been visiting Jane and my sister's family. I didn't want to intrude on Jane's life without knowing her. She is the absolute best! She is like the best friend I never had.