chapter twenty| cut ties and making new opportunities

A Few Weeks Later...

AUTUMN BENET

"Andddd, done!" I mumbled to myself.

It took me a while, but I had just finished completing the details for a photoshoot with Paisley and other models this upcoming month.

On top of that, I recently turned in my extra designs for the Dior and Saint Laurent collaboration project opportunity last Friday and have also been waiting on a word about that.

I had been extremely focused on work and also had completely ghosted Ahmad. Sure, we're friends, but the whole 'I'll wait for you' thing kind of made me want to back off. I almost felt as if I had been love bombed in a way.

The whole popping up at my job thing while Nic and I had gotten into an argument made things seem as if they were something that they weren't, and I hated that. So, a step back was definitely needed.

"Autumn,"

I was jolted out of my thoughts by the sound of Caroline's voice coming through the office phone. I straightened up in my seat and pressed the button, "Yes, ma'am.."

"Can you please come to my office regarding the collaboration?"

THIS IS IT!

"Yes ma'am! I'm on my way now..." I said, standing up so abruptly that I nearly toppled out of my chair.

Launching myself out of my chair, I slipped my heels back on, took my hair out of its loose ponytail, slipped my black cardigan back on, and rushed towards my office door.

Instead of being able to walk  right out of my office, I collided with Ahmad's torso so hard that I staggered back and had to grab the wall to steady myself so that I wouldn't fall over.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I questioned as I composed myself.

Ahmad shrugged. "Was hoping we could talk. You kind of ghosted me..."

"Right..." I said slowly. "Can it wait? I really have to—."
"It'll be quick, I swear." He urges.

This better be good. I huffed and crossed my arms. "Fine. Hurry. I have to be to my supervisor's office for something important."

Ahmad nodded his head and stepped inside my office. "So, you know that I want you, right? And I think I made that pretty clear."

"And I believe that I made it clear that I don't...I don't look at you in that light." I replied, cocking my head to the side.

"You did," he says. "But I've been thinking...why can't we just start with the friends with benefits portion and see where it takes us, you know?"

I know damn well that he didn't just say that.

"Are you being serious? Because, if you're trying to be funny...it's not a funny moment..." I said.

Ahmad frowned. "I'm serious."

"No. Get out. I can't even believe you would open your mouth to say that knowing what the hell I said and what I'm still trying to dig myself out of," I snapped. "Am I some kind of joke to you or something—."

"No! You're not," He says. "I was just thinking, if you did it for Nic why can't you do it for me?"

I ticked my jaw and let out a laugh. "Get out." I told him. "Now. Don't text me, call me, or even think about me. I want nothing to do with you!"

"Autumn, relax it was just a thought—."

"No, fuck that. Get out!" I snapped.

Ahmad jerked his head back and scoffed. "Fine. Damn." he mumbled.