[24. Meeting the Victors]

Rosemary

Rosemary

The Victor's Banquet started long before Rosemary even arrived, it seemed. After she was done with her portraits (the official ones for Hunger Games promotions, interviews, and commercials) she was finally ushered into the large ballroom filled with all the well-to-dos of the Capitol. It was crowded with circular tables evenly spaced out and people loitered here and there around the room, especially by the bar.

"If you need me, I'll probably be at the bar," Haymitch told her, already stepping away from her. She didn't object, though she wanted to. She knew Haymitch needed his alcohol almost as much as he needed oxygen. Still, she wished for his presence, instead of Effie, because at least Haymitch shared her thoughts about the people who lived in the Capitol.

"He'll find us later," Effie assured her, waving Haymitch off with a perky smile. "Now, there are your sponsors to greet and thank and, of course, there are some Gamemakers in attendance. Don't worry, just the higher-ups..."

Effie continued talking as she led her through the room. As Rosemary silently followed, she took note of the people around her. They were dressed luxuriously, though not to Rosemary's personal taste, and were sipping on glasses of champagne, wine, and other spirits she didn't know the names of. They stared at her as she passed and she found herself giving them a polite, toothless smile to acknowledge their presence before she moved on and caught eyes with another person watching her walk by.

She didn't recognize most of the people, though some of them looked familiar. Gamemakers, perhaps, that she'd seen during her training assessment. Once in a great while, she'd spot a couple of Victors chatting amongst themselves, but it was mostly strangers surrounding her.

"Ah, Miss Mellark! Lovely to officially meet you, dear." An older man, with snow-white mutton chops on either side of his bald head, greeted her enthusiastically. It was Misha Tripple, the Head Gamemaker for the last ten Games, including hers. According to Effie, this had been his last year, his retirement party planned for late September.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Tripple," Rosemary swallowed any bitterness toward the man and shook his hand with her good one. She couldn't afford another slip up, Haymitch had already warned her. "I apologize for my grip, I'm naturally right-handed."

Misha Tripple grinned at her, his teeth perfect despite their large size. "Of course, my dear! Of course. I must say, I believe you played the Game splendidly. There was nothing too exciting about your performance, sure, but it was consistent throughout. Oh, was the audience surprised when you worked that bystaff, but not us Gamemakers!"

"Oh...thank you," she hoped that he didn't catch her hesitation. She didn't know how to receive a regular compliment, let alone a compliment on her performance in the Hunger Games. Effie nudged her with her sharp elbow, prompting her to compliment the man back. "The arena was truly breathtaking, Mr. Tripple."