[25. The Games Never End]

Rosemary

Rosemary

The room in which Rye lived in at the Tribute Center for a week was empty. If she didn't already know that he did stay in the room, she wouldn't be able to tell. Every trace of him was gone. It wasn't like he had personal effects or time to make the room his, but even his scent was gone.

It was logical, they had been in the arena for three weeks. It had been a month since they left District 12. Still, in a room where he spent so little time, his absence was still felt.

Rye was gone.

"Rosemary."

Larkin's voice in the stillness of the room frightened her; she jumped, whirling around to confront her attacker.

No, Rosemary, she scolded herself privately. Not an attacker.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," Larkin apologized.

"It's fine." Rosemary stepped out of the doorway to Rye's room, joining Larkin in the hallway, and closed the door behind her.

"How are you doing?"

Rosemary saw no point in lying to her. "Not great."

"Do you want me to call for a medic?"

"No, no thank you," Rosemary gave her a small, thankful smile. "I have a couple meds they want me to take nightly in my room. Besides, it's not–" she hesitated and glanced back at Rye's door. "I just miss him."

Larkin frowned sadly. "I know, hunny. I'm sorry." at Rosemary's grateful look, she continued. "I have something to give to you."

It was then that Rosemary noticed the small envelope in her hand. There was something in it other than paper, she guessed, and when Larkin passed it over to her, she saw her name written on the front in Rye's handwriting.

The air left her lungs in a second. "From Rye?"

"He gave it to me before the Games," Larkin told her as Rosemary stared at the handwriting, running her fingertips along the dry ink. "To give to you, of course, if you won."

"He knew I'd win?" she asked hollowly.

"No, but he hoped."

Rosemary's eyes stung and tears started blurring her vision as she kept her gaze on the envelope. This whole time Rye wanted her to win.

"I'll leave you alone, but I wanted to say goodbye," Larkin whispered. Rosemary blinked away her tears and pulled Larkin into a hug with her good arm. "It was very nice to meet you, Rosemary. It was a privilege working with Rye, and I want you to know that he will be missed."

"Thank you, for everything," Rosemary said as they pulled away from each other.

"It's been my pleasure. Good luck."