4

It was the year 847

The day was starting as one by one, the Scouts rose.

It was the one day they were dreading.

Sakura Ackerman was leaving for the training corps.

Two years ago, when Sakura was only 10, Wall Maria had fallen to Titans. It was only 1 year after they had left the underground to join the Scouts.

On their first expedition outside the walls, Isabel and Furlan had died. Levi, on the other hand, came back. Sakura could tell he had come back different, although it didn't look like it to others.

Now, Sakura was ready to spread her wings. There was no changing her mind.

Everyone had grown to love the young girl, but they still wanted to shelter her. Nevertheless, they still made their ways to the yard. Those who were closer with her, coming last.

"Levi, you don't need to worry. Sakura's a strong girl. She'll be alright."

"I know, Erwin. But in my eyes, she'll always be the precious little baby I could once hold in my arms. I don't want her to have to face the horrors that will come with this line of work." Levi replied, the two men walking to the yard together.

"Sakura wants this. She wants to be like you, the man she looks up to. I have no doubts that she'll be like you: Humanity's strongest soldier."

"How can you accept this?" Levi's voice almost cracked.

"I know she'll come back. Three years may be a long time, but I want to be supportive of her because she needs it."

As usual, Erwin had chosen the right words to say.

Levi stared at the blonde man, who, just like on a battlefield, was extremely calm. He could just barely see that the Commander wasn't handling this all too well, either.

A sigh escaped his lips before he looked away from Erwin, walking to his 4'6" daughter.

Almost all of the Scouts had said goodbye. Now, only Levi, Erwin, Hange, and Miche.

"Goodbye, kiddo." Miche told her quietly. "Make us proud." He rubbed her hair, turning his head away so he could hide the tears threatening to spill.

"I will Miche." Sakura smiled happily as she wrapped her arms around him.

At that, Miche turned around, walking away to cry where no one would see him.

Hange, on the other hand, attacked her niece with a hug, bawling her eyes out.

"My little ray of sunshine is leaving me. It feels like yesterday that I was just meeting you, but you're all grown up."

Sakura smiled, rubbing her aunts back. "It's okay, Aunt Hange. I'll be back before you know it."

Hange let put a cry of happiness at her words, and that's when some of the Scouts had to pry her off Sakura.

Erwin and Levi said nothing, getting on the wagon.

Sakura followed their lead, with her pet wolf, Rizo following. Once both were in the wagon, they were off on the journey.

Sakura smiled. Erwin had sent in a special request that the small wolf would be allowed to stay with the girl. It was approved, so long as the wolf were to behave.

Once the home the two had known for three years, Levi finally spoke. "Sakura, I do not want to say goodbye. I made a promise to your mother before she died to raise you in the best way possible. I also made a promise to myself the day we left the underground to protect you from harm. So please, promise me that you'll come back so that I can continue to keep my promise."

Sakura gently smiled at her dad's words. "Of course I'll come back, dad. I'm doing this so that humanity's future can be brighter. You don't have to protect me anymore because whatever it takes, I'll fight to keep danger away from the both of us." Sakura wrapped her arms around his neck as tears escaped her eyes. "I love you, dad."

Not long after their sentimental moment, the three had arrived at the cadet training camp.

Erwin was the first to hop off the wagon, helping his niece down and looking her in the eyes. "Sakura, I know you'll make us all proud. So now, show these cadets what you're made of."

Sakura smiled, wrapping her arms around his torso. "I will, Uncle Erwin."

After Erwin had said his goodbyes, he and Levi helped Sakura with her bags before they reluctantly left.

With one final hug and a kiss to her head, Sakura was left to start the next chapter of her life.

"We now begin the enlistment ceremony for the 104th Trainee Corps! I am Keith Shadis, and I had the misfortune to be assigned to train you bastards. And I'm not here to welcome you at all! Right now, you're mere cattle, fit for nothing but Titan food! No, less than cattle... In three years, we'll take you worthless pieces of crap and train you! Give you the means to fight the Titans. In three years, when you stand before a Titan, will you still be food? Or will you be a noble wall, shielding the king? Or perhaps one of humanity's glorious soldiers that slay Titans? You will decide!"

_________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Feel free to vote and comment, and remember to take care of yourself. Have a great rest of your day!