11

"Sakura Ackermann, you've been ordered to appear as a witness at this afternoon's inquiry."

Levi, Hanji, Erwin, and Miche all looked at Sakura when the messenger had left.

"Is there anything you'd like to share, Sakura?" Erwin questioned as soon as the door had closed.

"I mean, it could be due to a number of facts. I was there in the elite squad protecting Eren when he carried the boulder to seal the hole." Sakura shrugged. "I was also there when the Garrison pointed a cannon at Eren and his friends."

Levi almost growled, letting out curse words as Erwin lost his cool, and Miche followed suit in the words Levi was saying. Hanji jumped out of her seat, bawling as she hugged her niece.

Sakura sighed, shaking her head.

"Can we talk about this later?" Sakura asked. "Aunt Hanji still needs to get Eren, and we have to take our places in the courtroom."

Levi sighed, placing his hand on her shoulder as he guided his daughter to the room.

Once there, Sakura took her place next to Mikasa, Armin, and Riko. Riza curled up at her feet.

Sakura's eyes caught Erwin's, where they had a silent conversation.

Did we really send Aunt Hanji out to get Eren?

There's no need to worry, Sakura.

But it's Aunt Hanji.

That's why I sent Miche with her.

Right...

Sakura was startled out of her eye conversation when Hanji banged the doors shut and the MPs chained Eren to a pole.

"Well then, let us begin." Dhalis Zachary started, sitting down at his desk. "Eren Jaeger, yes? You are a soldier, sworn to sacrifice your life for the public good. Is that correct?"

"Yes, sir." Eren answered.

"This is an exceptional situation." Zachary continued. "This tribunal will be held under military, not civilian, law. The final decision rests entirely in my hands. Your fate will be decided here. Do you have any objections?"

"No, sir." Eren looked down.

"I appreciate your perception." Dhalis moved on. "I will be direct. As anticipated, concealing your existence has proved impossible. We must make your existence public in some form or a threat to humanity other than Titans may arise. What I will decide today is which force will have custody of you. The Military Police? Or the Survey Corps? Then, I ask the Military Police for their proposal." 

"Yes, sir. I, Commander of the Military Police, Nile Dawk, will present my proposal." Nile Dawk spoke up. "After a thorough investigation of Eren's body, we believe he should be eliminated. It's certainly true that his Titan power overcame our previous peril. However, now his existence threatens to spark a civil war. So we ask him to die for humanity's sake, leaving behind all the information he can." 

"There is no need for that!" A priest yelled. "He is an invasive pest! He has deceived the walls that embody God's wisdom! He must be killed at once!" 

"Priest Nick." Dhalis stopped him. "Order, please. We'll hear the Survey Corps's proposal next." 

"Yes, sir." Erwin spoke. "I, 13th Commander of the Survey Corps, Erwin Smith, will present my proposal. We would welcome Eren as an official member of our forces and use his power to retake Wall Maria. That is all." 

"That's all?" Dhalis did a double take. 

"Yes, sir." Erwin answered. "With his power, we can retake Wall Maria. We believe it is clear what our priorities should be."