9

"It seems we're all here." Pixis stated. "You have just one mission. Act as Eren Jaeger's guards and eliminate any risks that present themselves along the way. It's the most dangerous, as well as most difficult, mission of this plan. It would be no exaggeration to say the fate of mankind rests on your shoulders."

"Commander, may I ask something?" A girl with glasses asked.

"What is it?"

"Is the supposed 'human weapon' truly capable of this?"

"Stop, Riko." A man next to her told her.

"You're doubtful too, aren't you?"

"Commander, this plan is dependent on a clearly vague factor, Eren Jaeger." The man next to Sakura spoke up. "If he's not capable, many soldiers will die meaninglessly."

"How troubling." Pixis hummed, stroking his mustache. "Are you all that fond of losing to the Titans? I, for one, am not. I hate losing more than anything. But contrary to that, I've continuously lost all my life. I want to defeat the Titans. Win against those blockheads. No matter what it takes." 

"Th-The same goes for us." Riko told Pixis. 

"Then what choice do we have but to bet on him?" Pixis questioned. "That clearly vague factor you spoke of is our sole chance of defeating the Titans, after all." 

"Commander, it's almost time to execute the luring plan." 

"Right." 

Pixis faced the four soldiers in front of him. 

"Jan Dietrich, Riko Brzenska, Mitabi Jarnach, Sakura Ackermann. You've all proven to be elites amongst elites in the Garrison and during training. I entrust mankind's future to you." 

□□□

Reports by the Survey Corps had said the Titans would come from the South.

In fact, it was Zhiganshina District, south of Wall Maria, that was attacked.

Thus, it was widely believed that the district south of Wall Rose, Trost, had the highest likelihood of being the next target.

Dot Pixis.

He is the High Commander of the entire southern region, including Trost.

The man with absolute authority over the defense of humanity's most important region.

And is he known to be a total eccentric.

"A plan to recapture Trost District?"

"You're kidding!"

"As if we have the technology to plug that hole in the gate."

"What're the higher-ups thinking?"

"Isn't entering Trost District just suicide?"

All around Sakura, whispers were being said about the supposed plan that would be taking place.

"But all we can do is defend Wall Rose's gate since the hole can't be sealed."

"Damn, are they that starved for glory?"

"To be forced back into that hell..." Daz trembled in his spot. "No, I don't want to die! Let me see my family!"

"Hey, Daz! You're too loud!" Marco panicked.

"You there, I heard that!" A higher-ranked soldier marched over to Daz. "Are you planning to abandon your duty?"

"Yes, that's right!" Daz answered. "There's nothing to be gained from this mass suicide mission!"

"How dare you make a mockery off mankind and order?" The soldier placed his hand on his blade. "I'll have you know I have the authority to execute you on the spot!"