19

"Wow the place hasn't changed a bit," Naruto commented when he was led into a conference room and sat across from Lady Tsunade. Neji stood behind Naruto's chair and looked at the familiar faces of his former friends. It was nice to see them but he knew that time had passed for them and getting to know each other wasn't in the cards. 

"It seems it was right to speculate," Kakashi murmured. "You are the Uzukage, Naruto Uzumaki." 

Naruto smiled and pulled down his mask to show his fanged smile. "You got that right. Sorry for dropping off but it was for the best." 

"So I'm guessing that isn't a woman behind you, it's Neji," TenTen looked over at the beautiful male who seemed to be glowing from something. Neji smiled and waved slightly as Naruto nodded. 

"He's my right hand, Gaara my left," Naruto stated proudly. "I'm sure you've already gathered that information from the remaining Sand siblings." 

"We did but hearing your confirmation clarified it," Tsunade huffed. "We found it strange that a Kage would abandon his village for the sake of a friend." 

"We aren't friends," Naruto interrupted. "We're brothers and he left willingly. But that's not why we're here." 

Naruto held his hand as Neji placed an unsealed scroll into his palm and the blonde rolled him across the table. "Those are our papers renouncing our Konoha citizenship." 

"So you won't come back," Jiraiya muttered. 

"I am a Kage in my own right, I can't come back to play hero for a village that doesn't care about me," Naruto waved vaguely. "Surely you've seen this happening. Why would I come back now, it's been years." 

"Is it because of me?" Sasuke suddenly asked and Naruto laughed. 

"Don't misunderstand," Naruto started, chuckling between his words. "I knew you would get off on your attempted rogue mission. You knew you had the council in your back pocket for being the last of the Uchiha. I was done then as well. When I was in the hospital I started plotting my own escape from this place. I had planned to use the training mission from Jiraiya to slip off the radar but Neji came." 

"I couldn't in good faith leave Neji behind as he was the only one who cared for me in this suffocating village. Hiashi abusing him after Hinata snitched worked in my favor," Naruto smiled bitterly as the female Hyuga flinched under his gaze. "Neji getting out of the village was the first part, convincing him to not go back was a little more difficult but no matter what he chose I would have been satisfied." 

"I would have chosen you always you idiot," Neji ruffled Naruto's hair. "You married me when I had no name, no power to help you grow, just the clothes on my back. Of course, I would stay by your side. You took me at my worst, showed me love, and didn't raise your hand at me. You saved me so I am willing to go wherever you go." 

"Don't phrase it like that," Naruto chuckled. "They might think I'm manipulative."

"It doesn't matter, I'm happy beside you." 

"So you had always planned to leave?" Tsunade clarified. 

"Of course, no offense," Naruto raised his hand to stop her next words. "You are a genuine person Lady Tsunade, and so is Lord Jiraiya I know my parents left you with the duty of looking out for me but your loyalty to Konoha is far superior to my well-being. I understand I don't have malicious intent toward either of you but I couldn't stay here without drowning in resentment." 

"Sooner or later I would have blamed both of you for how I turned out but I don't want it to reach that cusp. So I left and I hope you can accept this as my final answer and don't seek us out for anything in the future," Naruto concluded as he finally got up, nodded to the friends he had before, and walked away with Neji holding his hand. 

They had made it out of the Hokage tower when rushing footsteps chased after them. Naruto turned to see Sakura making her way. When she had finally caught up she sighed a bit before bowing. "I'm sorry for how I treated you during the years we were on the same team and in the academy. Thank you for opening my eyes to see that being a shinobi is no joking matter or a means to get closer to a crush." 

Naruto gave her a rare small smile. "That's okay, it seems you're doing better now." 

Sakura nodded and headed back just as Hinata was coming forward. She gazed at their linked hands and laughed bitterly. "I know my apology solves nothing. That my actions were intended to hurt and push Neji out of the clan. I didn't expect my father to abandon him with no name. I just wanted to exercise whatever confidence I had gotten. It was wrong, I apologize." 

Hinata didn't wait for any words and quickly left, never once looking into their gazes. Naruto gazed at Neji who was trembling before he started shedding tears. "She had tried to apologize a few weeks after we married but I didn't want to listen as she was just trying to justify her actions but it feels right to hear her sincerely apologize." 

"You deserve that much," Naruto comforted and dried Neji's tears. "Come on Gaara's waiting for us and we have to make a break for it before they come attacking." 

Neji burst out laughing and he quickly followed Naruto who was making a beeline for the village gate they had come through. They could sense Gaara's chakra signature waiting patiently in the tree. He seemed to be sleeping, a large scroll resting in his lap. "Seems Gaara decided to give us the maximum amount of time," Naruto chuckled and ran his fingers through the burgundy hair to wake the other up as he was a deep sleeper. 

Gaara's eyes snapped open and stared at his brothers before sighing. "Enjoyed yourselves?" 

Neji rolled his eyes. "We'll talk about it on the way home."