Chapter 10: No Change

"1- 2- 3- 4- 5! Stop!", Mona yelled and Nilou stopped doing her circles in mid air while hanging from her ribbons

"1- 2- 3- 4- 5! Stop!", Mona yelled and Nilou stopped doing her circles in mid air while hanging from her ribbons. She quickly climbed down and asked,

"Did it look good?"

"You bet it did", Mona replied with a big smile. "This could be a part of your regular routine in circus very easily. The audience will definitely love it"

Nilou looked around her. "Mona, did you see Fischl?"

"Fischl? She was here just now. But got dragged along with Diona. Diona just needed company. She said she wanted to try new tricks with her cats as well. So she took Fischl as the audience for her new tricks "

"I see", Nilou said.

Mona kept her hand behind Nilou's back. "Say, you are worried about the present situation of the circus, aren't you?"

Nilou gave a sad look.
"I am... Heizou keeps on getting sick every other day. And for some reason Lyney has been way too silent. Lynette refuses to interact with him as well which is very rare. But what could've happened between those three? I don't wish to know to be honest... all I want Is for them to get along."

"Come on- none of them are actually kids... well, except Heizou."

(Note: I wanted to mention this before but I have to make the ages of the characters clear to everyone for avoidance of doubts.
Venti: 20 years
Xiao: 20 years
Kazuha/Scara: 18 years
Lyney/Lynette: 19 years
Heizou: 17 years)

Days passed but nothing really changed.

The once cheerful atmosphere of the circus seemed to have dissapeared completely.

"Heizou... its time for dinner", Nilou said and Heizou went for dinner.
He would look at no one. Talk with no one.
Just eat and get back to his tent.

"Is that child not doing well even now?", Ningguang asked for the first time showing her genuine concern.

"Things have been rough. He is not ill physically. He gets these slight fevers in the middle of the night sometimes... but both me and Diluc are quite sure that its simply because of his mental state.", Kaeya replied.

All of them were still eating.

Lyney suddenly stopped eating halfway as soon as Heizou was brought up in the conversation.
"I... am full", he said and left the tent.

"Oh and this guy has been acting just as weird...", Fischl said and sighed.

Diona looked at everyone. Then stood up with her head held high.

"Diona?"

"Grown ups are really weird. I hope I never grow up", she said and walked off. Xiao looked at her plate. She had already finished her dinner.

She walked out and as soon as she approached her tent, her cats started climbing all over her. She smiled at them.
"Prince, peach and pie- you three have been getting naughty.", she said with a giggle. She went into her tent and sat on the bed with her three cats.

"Grown ups always seem to be in some sort of trouble... I don't understand at all... Prince, Peach, Pie... am I... different? Why do I not understand... why can I not be someone reliable... do I have to become older to be as mature as others?..."

"Meow"

Diona laughed. "Of course you can't answer me- "

"Ever since I can remember... I've been in this circus. I don't remember anything before that. I wonder what my past was...", Diona said and closed her eyes. "Whatever it is... I hope I can ask Father about it one day"

_

Diluc went Into the tent and saw Heizou already asleep. He quitely left the tent and turned off the lights.

"Is he asleep?", Kaeya asked.

"He is", Diluc answered.

Lynette walked past them and went into her tent where she saw Lyney lying on the bed with his face hidden in the pillows.

"Why do you keep running away?", she spoke.

Lyney did not answer.

"I always knew that you were an idiot... but now it seems like you are also heartless ", Lynette said and Lyney immediately looked at her with sad eyes.

"Lynette... how can you say that!? You... you of all people should understand me..."

"This is not a matter of understanding Lyney... Heizou is still a kid. He won't recover from this easily... and I call you heartless because it's only you who can be there for him right now. You can make things better. And yet you choose to hide in these pillows. I... won't entirely blame you for everything you've done. But 90% of it is your own fault "

Lyney didn't move a bit as Lynette spoke. After she was done he said,"I... too am scared to face him again..."

"You can't avoid him forever.", Lynette replied.

Lyney was about to say something when Kazuha came in their tent.

"Lyney, Lynette, Beidou told you both to go meet her and Ningguang once", Kazuha said.
Lyney and Lynette looked at each other and then at Kazuha.
"We'll be there", Lynette replied and Kazuha went out of their tent.

The two went into Beidou and Ningguang's tent.

"Yes, come inside both of you", Ningguang said. This time she wasn't smoking.

Beidou simply sat beside Ningguang with her eyes fixed on Lyney and Lynette making them both nervous.

"Our Circus has been postponing performance for over a week now. Do you two understand how much of a loss it is for Father?", Ningguang asked.

The two remained silent.

"Look, Heizou has been refusing to do the tightrope walk. You two have been messing up your magic performances. This won't do. I do not understand what has happened to you three. Nor do I wish to understand. Being a part of this Circus means we are family. But during performance, we are fellow coworkers. The job is to be taken seriously. Yet you three keep on letting this personal mess get into your job."

Ningguang didn't sound angry as she said it. She sounded more... disappointed.

"As for Heizou... I understand him. But you two have also been acting way too immature. And here I am nagging you two like your mom when I am simply five years older than you two."

"Forgive us Ningguang...", Lynette said with a sad look on her face. "As Lyney's magic assistant, I've been refusing to cooperate with him. It's all my fault."

"Lynette... that's not-", Lyney got interrupted by Ningguang.
"I see. Then look to it. And don't repeat the same mistake"

"But Lynette is not the one at fault here! It's all because of me!",Lyney yelled. "I... did something that was not right... she has every right to be annoyed at me. So please... don't think that Lynette did anything wrong..."

Beidou finally spoke.
"Both of you are at fault here. Lyney- if possible, try to fix the wrong that you've done. As for Lynette, look after this idiot brother of yours."

Both Lyney and Lynette went back to their tent. It was almost about to be midnight.

"Let's sleep now... we'll talk about everything tomorrow ", Lyney said and the two soon fell asleep.

_________________________________________

A/N: I have maths exam tomorrow 💀 but Its boring to study all day🤷‍♀️