Five

Their plan had...
Well, it was going to shit.

First, the guards on the train figured out that Loki, Mobius, and Sylvie had snuck on board without a ticket, and then in the ensuing fight, Loki is thrown out a window.

"Loki!" Mobius shouted, jumping out the window after him. Sylvie growled in frustration, following after her stupid variant and their stupid boyfriend.

"Loki! Are you okay?!" Mobius said, sitting beside Loki on the ground. His' hand came to rest over her abdomen, a look of worry etched on his lovely features.

"We're okay." Loki says softly, reaching forward and taking Mobius' face in his hand. "Mobius... We're okay."

"Hey!" Sylvie shouted, walking over to them. "We better get moving. It's a long walk to town, and that's where the Ark is."

"Just give us a second." Mobius says, still worrying over Loki and the baby.

"What's the deal?" Sylvie says with a shrug. "He's part Jotun, part Titan. A tumble like that is not gonna be enough to take him out, that's for certain."

"That's not his main concern." Loki says softly.

"Well, what is it?" Sylvie asks, taking a seat with them.

"I have a separation of the placenta from the uterine lining. I'm technically not even supposed to be on my feet, let alone getting thrown from a train." Loki explains with a chuckle. Sylvie made a small noise of understanding, nodding her head.

"Have you thought about what they're gonna look like?" She asked.

"I just hope she isn't purple." Loki says.

"With a ball sack for a chin." Sylvie says with a smirk. Loki couldn't contain the laugh that bubbled up at that joke.

"Ehehe, yeah." He says softly.

"Genetics are a funny thing, they might not even be small like we were." Sylvie says.

"What do you mean?" Loki asks. "What does she mean?"

"Almost all Loki variants have a specific form of dwarfism, which is why you were so much smaller than most Frost Giant infants when Odin found you, and why you're still proportionally smaller than most Jotun." Mobius explained. "You inherited the gene from your mother. It was inactive in her, but it was active in you. When she saw that you were a 'frost dwarf', she snuck away with you to the temple so that Laufey wouldn't hurt you, and that's where Odin found you."

"Almost all Loki variants?" Loki questioned.

"The Jotun Loki variant, he didn't get it. They're also dating a earth girl." Mobius elaborated.

"Good for him." Sylvie says. "Wait, do you still have the tempad?

Loki made it reappear, only to be holding a broken piece of wires and metal. Their hearts all sank in despair. Fuck...

"Maybe we can fix it." Loki says desperately.

"It's gone, Loki." Mobius says quietly, an utter hopelessness in his voice Loki had never heard before.

"There's no way off of here." Sylvie says dejectedly.

"What about the ark?" Loki suggests.

"It never makes it off of here." Sylvie says.

"It never had us on it." Loki reminds them.

"Mobius?" Sylvie says.

"I don't see any other options, I say we do it." Mobius says with renewed certainty.

Eventually the group got back on their feet, making their way to town. They made their way through the hectic crowds racing towards the ark, at one point Loki used telekinesis to keep a falling building from crushing them.

Before anyone could reach the Ark, a huge meteorite struck it. Their last means of escape was obliterated. Loki watched in horror and despair as he fell to his knees. Mobius knelt beside him, holding him in his arms. The hormones were making Loki even more emotional as he started silently crying as he realized they were all going to die here on this rock. She'd still never get to meet her child, never get to hold her or see her beautiful face. Never get to give him a name or teach her magic.

Sylvie also knelt beside Loki, awkwardly wrapping her arms around him. Again, she wasn't good with emotions, but for these two she was oddly willing to try, willing to learn.

Is this friendship, Miss Laufeydottir? Sylvie tried to ignore the thought, but it was no use. These were her friends now, and maybe, just maybe, friendship could fix what was broken in her, or at least make it hurt a bit less.

Eventually, the group went back outside the city, sitting by a large crater as they watched the planetoid draw closer and more and more meteorites rained from the sky.

"Do you think what makes a Loki a Loki is that we're destined to lose?" Sylvie asks.

"Well, we may lose, painfully at times, but we don't die." Loki replied.

"I spent my life running, going from one apocalypse to another. I saw the ends of countless worlds." Sylvie says, tears pricking her eyes. "Now, that's where I'll die."

"Don't look at it that way." Mobius chimes in. "This story isn't over yet."

"Yes, it is. Don't you see?" Sylvie says. "How are you so optimistic about this?"

"Because I already have everything I need right here." Mobius says, taking Loki's hand in his. "All I ever wanted was to truly belong somewhere, with someone. That was my goal, my glorious purpose."

Loki looked at him with tears shining in their eyes. He took a deep, albeit shaky breath, and slowly took Sylvie's hand as well. She looked at their hands hesitantly before gripping onto him. The tears escaped her eyes and she looked down at the ground, secretly wiping them away.

Is this how it feels to have family, again?

"If we make it off of here, I'm not fighting anymore." Sylvie says. "I'm tired of running, I'm tired of being the villain. Maybe I'll follow your lead, Loki. Try and be a better version of myself."

"So no more destroying the Time Keepers?" Mobius asks.

"No more destroying the Time Keepers." Sylvie agreed.

Suddenly, two time doors opened up before them. Loki, Mobius, and Sylvie jumped to their feet, staring in shock at Ravonna and the other hunters.

"That was one hell of a nexus event. Now I'm curious what you did to cause it." She says with a narcissistic smirk.