Chapter 5

'Isn't that Kang Gwonhoo? Why is he here again?'

Reluctantly, Baek Woojin's vision, exceptional as it was, clearly captured Kang Gwonhoo and Baek Soohyuk, who were in a fierce battle. Denying reality and futilely blinking my eyes, I couldn't escape the undeniable truth.

Instinctively, I leaped off the windowsill and dashed towards the two. As I took the sixth step, I realized it might be too late, but it was like watching a train wreck; I had to see it unfold. Both of them noticed my simultaneous approach and the overwhelming force emanating from them made my body involuntarily shrink.

'At this rate, it might not be a shrimp exploding in a whale fight but rather plankton bursting, huh?'

I abruptly halted my accelerating body, causing a slight wobble. I wanted to avoid the gaze of Baek Soohyuk, who was eyeing me, and Kang Gwonhoo, who seemed to be enjoying himself. My trembling legs recoiled as I tried to sidestep them. At this point, I wished I could just smack my own head for foolishly attempting to charge between them without thinking.

"Be careful."

Unexpectedly, Kang Gwonhoo, who was just in front of me moments ago, appeared beside me, supporting my stumbling form. His arm against my waist felt warm.

"Thank you."

Today, I learned that when the brain is overwhelmed, only foolish words come out.

"Can't you let go of that hand?"

Baek Soohyuk growled with a low, menacing voice, like a predatory beast. I seemed to be the only one feeling fear from that voice. After placing me away, Kang Gwonhoo shamelessly tightened his grip on my arm.

"Why? It's not like I'm touching you or your lover."

He further provoked Baek Soohyuk. The face across from us was colder than the frost in the tundra.

"Do you think I don't know your intentions? You're the kind of trash that cunningly uses people around you, then discards them after exploiting them. You pretend to be a good person externally, but inside, you're just garbage chasing your own pleasure."

Baek Soohyuk had accurately discerned Kang Gwonhoo's motives and true nature. Indeed, with just S-level prowess, it would be impossible to amass such influence at such a young age. He was an exceptional character who could quickly grasp a person's nature and decipher their intentions while playing the game.

Even though Baek Soohyuk had pierced through Kang Gwonhoo's intentions, he responded with a nonchalant hum, lifting his chin leisurely. Somehow, his hand was now snugly pressed against my side.

"At first, that was the plan. It seemed quite enjoyable to imagine you getting angry and self-destructing when you played around with your immature brother and then discarded him. It was amusing how you cared about appearances despite not being real brothers. But thoughts changed. Just having a person like Baek Woojin around doesn't seem so bad."

"Is that a joke?"

This question didn't come from Baek Soohyuk; it came from me. I tried to pretend as if I were casually holding a bag of rice that Kang Gwonhoo handed me, but the unexpected and shocking remark made me blurt out involuntarily.

"If you found it amusing, you can just accept it that way."

His gentle voice tickled my ears. I knew it wasn't the time for such thoughts, but it seemed like I was beginning to understand why people might be deceived by him when he decided to act kind.

"He said yesterday that he wouldn't join your guild."

'When did I ever say that! I never said anything like that!'