ch5

And so, the day continued. Grian continued about his business before he was interrupted about the soul-harvesting disguised as a peace tree-ty panic, which was making progress on his alleyway (not the back. obviously not the back. only the alleyway).

Mumbo began about his day, except this time with a brand new soul and a fresh face, of which he was feeling rather pleased about, and comfortable in, though for some reason, he felt slightly odd. As though he was being ...watched? But he brushed it off as something to do with the soul transfer- who has ever said that soul transfers were safe or foolproof?

In time, Mumbo had worked hard, and decided that it was time to finish up. He flew atop a tree that happened to be near his base, said his goodbyes, and gave another look at himself as he was bidding farewell. Only this time, he looked at the back of himself, and noticed something that he had not before. In his shock all he could do was say what he saw: "...waffle."

At first, he felt surprise. But as reality sank in, he realised the truth, and what had happened. He had always known that Grian had a waffle on the back of his head, but, this fact had flown past his head in his state of desperation to become human again, and besides, beggars couldn't be choosers. And when this truth sank in, so did petrification, even anger, and 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘨𝘶𝘴𝘵.

He couldn't believe that he now had a 𝘸𝘢𝘧𝘧𝘭𝘦. A waffle, for goodness' sake! He was always okay with Grian having a waffle, but 𝘩𝘪𝘮? He couldn't bare the thought. Even though neither of them had thought about how Grian had had a waffle on the back of his scalp, he still felt slightly betrayed. Sure, he couldn't 𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 help the fact that he had a waffle, but... could he?

Now that Mumbo had seen the... waffle, on the back of his head, disgusted thoughts swirled around his head, like in a witch's pot. Why was he a waffle, anyway? Had he always been a waffle? Why couldn't he just be bread instead, or a Grain?

Having thought this, he felt as thought he had a sort of... memory, of a Grain character, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. All he could think of with confidence is that Grian had a waffle, which was clearly part of his soul, and that this part of his identity had been transferred to him as well, this 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘨𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 part of him, which he now had. He cursed himself.

Even though he was a beggar and couldn't be a chooser, why did he have to have the waffle in the first place? And why did it have to be given to him, too? Scar probably had such a beautiful soul. In fact, even though being bread was rare, it was so, so beautiful and power and success, it wouldn't surprise Mumbo if even Scar was bred 🙂👍.

Blinded by his misguided fury for waffles, Mumbo made up his mind that he would have a "talk" with the waffle himself: Grian. 𝘏𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵 𝘩𝘪𝘮𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧 𝘭𝘶𝘤𝘬𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘐 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘭𝘺 "𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘭𝘭" 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘎𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯, he thought. 𝘞𝘩𝘺 𝘸𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘣𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘥 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘣𝘳𝘦𝘥 🙂👍, 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘸𝘢𝘺?!

He marched away, fixed on accomplishing what he considered to be his most important task yet.