3

The next day of detention, Grant still doesn't stop pushing me to hang out. I refuse every single time. Ms. Fernandez glares at us and even threatens to add an extra week of detention.

We shut up.

"I'm hungry," Grant states once where outside of the classroom, "We're gonna get food."

"Man," I say with exasperation, "fuck off."

He laughs, "What if I told you that I would be paying for it?"

"... Free food?"

"Free food."

"Damnit."

•••

I hate to say this, but it's not too terrible to hang out with Grant. He took me to a burger place a few blocks away from school, and I can honestly kiss him right now. The food is amazing.

"So, three more days of detention?"

"You got it, Venice," there's an uncomfortable pause, "What's your favorite color?"

"I have five," Grant raises his eyebrow, "Orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple."

"So practically the whole rainbow without red?"

"... No."

Grant laughs charmingly, pushing his light brown hair away from his face. His Ramones sweater had been rolled up to his elbows a while back, and he just looks like he owns the place.

"Anyway," I say after he's done laughing, "What's your favorite color?"

"Green. And just green," he says with a wink, "Food?"

"Definitely these burgers. You?"

"I'd have to go with the same thing, yeah? Do you like giraffes?"

"Giraffes? Sure. They're pretty cool."

"Good. I couldn't have been your friend if you didn't."

"Wait, friends?"

"Yes, friends," he smirks like it was the stupidest thing I said, "Anyway, back to giraffes."

"... You like giraffes that much?"

"They're the reason I live," Grant jokes, "But honestly, I like them because my little sister drilled the idea into my head."

"So your little sister -- who I didn't know existed -- forced you to like giraffes."

"Pretty much. And yeah, I do have a sister. Eight and named Lillian."

"Sounds cute."

"I'll take you to meet her one day."

____________

Aren't they cute? I love Grant and Venice.

Comments and Votes are much appreciated. xoxo

-thyselves