chapter four

"You're fucking worthless! You can't do one goddamn thing right, and you wonder why your mother left. Maybe, just maybe, if you'd get your ass in that kitchen like a woman's supposed to and stop sneaking out to see your little friends, I'd consider calling you my daughter. But, no. Instead, you choose to embarrass me."

"Embarrass you? Ha. You can't call me your daughter, because that would mean you're my father, and you sure as hell have never been a parent to me. Hell, you don't even want me."

Smack.

"Don't you ever talk to me like that again, you little bitch! Who'd want a useless dyke like you for a sorry excuse of a daughter, anyway? Now, go get me my fucking beer!"

I wake up, sweating. I look at my surroundings.

My eyes land on Sky, who's still fast asleep. I turn my head and meet Angel's gaze.

"You okay?"

"Yeah. Go back to sleep."

"No, you're not. You were mumbling and kicking your legs."

"I'm fine. Really. It was just a bad memory."

"Hey." She scoots closer to me as she stares into my eyes. "I'm here."

"Thank you."

I don't know how, but before I knew it, I fell asleep on Angel's shoulder.

"Babe, wake up." I hear Sky's voice.

I open my eyes, and surely enough, she's crouched beside my bed.

I check the alarm clock and it reads 9:27 am. Seven hours since I was last awoken by my nightmare.

"Wha-" I start.

"What happened? Angel was worried and told me that you had a bad dream."

"It was nothing. Just another one of my dad."

"He can't hurt you anymore. You're with us now."

"I love you."

"I love you more. You want to go to the cove today?"

The cove is a secluded beach where hardly anyone goes. It's small, but perfect. It has sand, an ocean, trees with orange leaves, and a gorgeous view. Especially at night.

It's also a special place we would go to if either of us was upset or going through something. Just go and try to take our minds off of life. We'd just enjoy each other's company like we were the only two people in the world.

"Sure. Let me just get in the shower first."

"Okay."

Seventeen minutes later, I step out and put on my towel. I pause my music and brush my teeth. I go into my bedroom to change.

Today, I decide to straighten my hair and wear a low-cut purple skirt and a white tube top. I put on a pair of black flats and apply some mascara, nude cinnamon-flavored lipgloss, and concealer to cover my scars. I put on an emerald pendant necklace to top off my outfit.

I leave the room, heading downstairs. I see Sky and Angel talking in the kitchen. Sky suddenly looks at me, mouth wide. Angel notices and turns around, looking at me.