chapter five

"Come on, slow pokes." I clap my hands, walking backwards to shore.

When we were done playing around, we decided to sit down. Fortunately, me and Sky always pack towels in the trunk of the car. Though, in this case, there are only two, which means that two of us will have to share one each. As I return with the towels, I lay one down and hand the other to Sky.

Hayden sits beside me.

"Looks like we're sharing, baby."

"Guess so." I lay on my back. I look to my left and see Sky and Angel in the same position, talking.

"Pretty special, huh?"

"Huh?"

"Angel."

"Oh. Yeah, she's amazing."

"I know. When she told me that she had met you yesterday, I was worried. Even though she's shy and bubbly, she can be too trusting sometimes. She's like a sister to me, so that just makes me worry about her even more, you know what I mean."

"I completely understand. I'd be skeptical too if Sky were the same way. I mean, she's sweet and all, but she can read a person ten miles away."

"I knew you'd get it. What about you?"

"I don't really talk to anyone. However, if I do, I'm pretty quiet until I feel comfortable around them. Except with Angel. Usually, I would've said 'it's okay' and walked away. But, she was just being so nice and kept blaming herself when she knocked into me, and I didn't want her to keep feeling bad over an innocent little incident. So, I decided to get to know her a little bit and invited her to join us."

"You're a good person, you know that?"

"It just comes naturally. She talked about you last night."

"Yeah? What'd she say?"

"That you're the best person she's ever met. She also called you her home away from home."

He smiles. "You know, underneath those innuendos, I know you're also a good person."

"Why don't we keep that our little secret? By the way, let me know if my flirting ever makes you uncomfortable."

"I can live without it. But, I know you don't mean anything by it. Besides, I'm used to it and have dealt with way worse. Plus, if it ever were to get out of hand, I would just break your wrist."

"Duly noted. The offer's always open for you, though if you change your mind, baby."

"I'm not that horny. Or desperate."

"Oh, really? When's the last time you had some?"

"I haven't."

"Wait, w-"

"I'm still a virgin, okay?"

"Damn, baby. I respect that. I mean, don't take this the wrong way, but someone as attractive as you saving yourself is beyond words. It's admirable, to say the least."

"Thanks. I guess I just want to give all of me to someone special. I'm not religious or anything. I just want to know that when I give myself up, that I do it to someone I love, and I won't end up regretting it the next day."

"I get that. You got to be careful with these other guys. At least I'm not shy about what I want. They'll just play nice and take you out, trying to get in your pants. Doesn't matter whether you do or don't give it up. They'll tell their buddies otherwise out of spite. I know you're smart, but just be careful, okay?"

Absentmindedly, I lean over and hug him.

"I will. Thanks for looking out for me."

"And what do we have here?" I hear Angel tease.