chapter nine

"You scaredy cat!"

I just told Sky about my little episode at Angel's.

"Am not! It's just been a while since I've seen it."

She cackles. "Sure. Just like that time you screamed when Chucky jumped onto Kyle's back?"

"If you don't shut up, I'm going to hit you with this pillow."

"Oh, no, I'm so scared."

"Okay."

I jump on her bed, landing on top of her. I hit her face and stomach with the pillow. She tried shielding her body, but it was no use.

We're a giggling mess.

"Truce?" I asked out of breath.

"Fine. You're no fun." She stuck her tongue out.

I look at her. Her hair is a disheveled mess and her breathing is rugged.

"Whatever. You know you love me."

"Yes, I do." She kisses my cheek. "Loser."

"Doofus."

"Ouch." She puts a hand on her chest, feigning hurt.

"Oh, hush, you faker."

I hit her again with the pillow. She straightens her posture and fixes her hair to no avail.

"So, you guys going out again tomorrow?"

"No. I was actually going to ask you if you wanted to do something. Just the two of us."

"Sure. Where do you want to go?"

I shake my head, smiling. "I'm leaving that up to you. We're doing whatever it is you want to do."

She practically squeals. "I have just the thing."

"Let's hear it."

"You'll have to wait until tomorrow."

"Come on, Sky. You know I hate surprises."

"I know. That's why it's perfect. Besides, I know that you're going to love it."

"Ooh. Guess my fate lies in your hands then."

"Mhm. Now, come here." She pats the empty side next to her. "I miss you sleeping in my bed."

I crawl over, chuckling. "Me too. What is it?"

Sky stares at me intently.

"I missed this, too."

"Missed w-"

She cut me off, her lips smashed against mine. Her thumb runs along my jaw. She places one last soft kiss on my lips before pulling away.

"Sorry. Hope I didn't freak you out."

"N-no. You just took me by surprise, is all."

"Well, then, you're in for an even bigger surprise."

"What do you mean?"

"You know that I love you, right?"

"Yeah. And I love you."

"No." She shakes her head. "Ryder, I love you. So fucking much. And it hurts to have to pretend every day that I'm not, just so I won't ruin what we have."

My eyes widen.

Fuck! Tell me I'm dreaming. Someone slap me now. Great, now I'm talking to myself. In my own head. As if anyone's going to answer. Great, Ryder.

"And now, you're freaking out."

"No, I'm not."

"You've been like this a little over a minute. It's okay, Ry. You know that you can always be honest with me. I can take it."