Chapter Nine: Holiday Project

The term had flown by even quicker than anyone had realized and by the time they did, it was almost spring break where the kids would have three weeks off of school as the warmer seasons started to approach them.

Steve was more than glad that the term was over, the other school was still staying in Hawkins and there would be a festival over the break that the school had planned with them but Steve wasn't even sure he was going to go.

Steve was happy to report that Dustin hadn't been hurt again, he had been safe and after Mike saw the marks he too kept a close eye on Dustin in their classes so both Eddie and Steve could rest easy knowing at least someone was always looking out.

Steve was standing outside looking at the old "house" in his backyard, it wasn't really a house but it wasn't a shed or garage either? It just looked like a mini home. Steve opened the garage-looking door and leaned against the wall, there was rubbish everywhere but there was some furniture that looked like it was worth salvaging, when he checked out the bathroom, the toilet and sink still worked.

In that moment Steve had a wonderful idea.

Steve called Robin out from her room and watched as she waddled outside in her pajamas, staring at Steve in confusion,

"Dingus what are you doing?"

"Starting my holiday project" Steve had started lumping the trash bags out and moving the light furniture, he gestured for Robin to come over, "look once it's cleaned up this could be a good place to hang out with everybody"

Robin tilted her head and stared at the dirty floors and walls then she looked at Steve who was going through the bags to see if there was actually anything worth keeping,

"Let me change, I'll call Eddie and Vick and then I'll grab some bleach" she pointed to the small bathroom, "because I'm pretty sure those tiles aren't supposed to be yellow"

Steve cringed at the gross bathroom he imagined hadn't been touched in at least 10 years, "how does that sink still work?"

Not too long later Eddie arrived in Steve's clothes, Steve looked at Eddie amused, "why are you wearing my clothes Munson?"

"Because I don't want to get any gross shit on my leather jacket or vest"

"Oh ok so it's alright for my clothes to get ruined?"

"Yep" Eddie kissed Steve's head then stepped over the bags into the room, "we're going to need a lot more than a little bit of bleach"

Steve nodded in agreement, he smiled though when Eddie rolled his sleeves up and started helping move all the bags out onto the lawn. His roughly marked tattoos and surprisingly toned arms now exposed in the light. 

"Think about it Eddie, it could just be a hang out spot, chuck a sofa bed in there, table for your nerdy game stuff, I might even get Byers over to decorate the wall"

Eddie could slowly see the room coming together and he figured that for spring break, and then of course summer, it could be the perfect spot considering Steve had a pool and spa directly opposite it.

Vickie had arrived and walked outside with Robin, wearing gloves and chucking Steve a broom. She had taken the honors of calling some of the kids over who would want to help. Soon Will and Max arrived, then Lucas and Dustin and eventually Mike.

Steve felt a bit bad Eleven couldn't be with them but maybe once they had fixed the place up it could be a place she could stay over the holidays, that way everyone but especially Max could visit her.

The kids started going through the bags and lugging everything out into the yard, Mike had been watching Steve and Eddie as they conversed between themselves, he had also noticed Eddie wearing Steve's clothes. Mike walked over to Dustin and pulled him aside.