Chapter Ten: Hide

TW: FAMILY VIOLENCE

"Hi Dad"

"Steve. What's going on?"

"Nothing much, did a grocery shop last night, was going to do a mop and vacuum"

"Why does it look like someone's been over?"

"Oh that was just Tommy, came to pick up some of his old things. They're moving out of town"

"So Tommy's doing something with his life, what about you?"

"At school dad- Sir, doing well in my classes"

"Doing sports?"

"Yeah! coaching the basketball team for extra credit too"

His dad paced around the kitchen and then stared out through the living room window. He looked back to the front yard where he had seen the bags of junk piled near the pavement.

"What's the stuff outside?"

"Oh just rubbish I found while cleaning"

"What were you cleaning?"

"The shed near the pool, noticed a smell and thought I could clean it out, since we're on break it might be a nice spot to-"

Steve's head knocked against the counter as his dad shoved him to the ground, yelling in his ear and placing his hands around Steve's throat.

"Don't you go thinking this is your house"

Steve tried to get out a "stop" but it just came out as broken gasps for air.

"THIS IS MY HOUSE I OWN THIS HOUSE I OWN YOU" he released Steve and Steve held onto the counter as he slid down to the floor, letting the air fill his lungs again.

"Yes"

"Yes what?"

"Yes sir"

"I'll be staying for a couple of days."

"You got it, do you need anything?"

"Get me a beer"

Steve realized he left the beers in the shed, "yeah I'll be right back".

Steve tried to walk as confidently as he could out the door, he opened the shed and saw that Robin had hidden Eddie and Vickie away like he had asked. Robin got up and held Steve's face, she knew she couldn't do anything for Steve, who would the police believe? A teenage girl or a rich white man?.

"Steve..."

Steve held Robin's hands, "feels weird when you say my real name" he tried laughing but Robin couldn't even create a smile.

"Steve what happened to you?" Eddie noticed the bruises that were forming around Steve's neck.

"I'm fine, I can't see you guys for a couple of days. After he's gone I'll come back"

Robin searched for words, "it'll be ok, I'll call"

"No, don't. It'll only anger him, could you bring some foundation to work tomorrow though, just to cover it up while I'm in public?"

"Yeah, of course" Robin was still holding Steve.

Vickie stood in shock, "what do you want us to do Steve?"

"Leave. Please just leave, I'll let you know when he's gone" Steve turned to Eddie, "as soon as he leaves I'll call you"

Eddie didn't know how to react, he nodded but nothing had truly comprehended. Robin knew there was a side gate, she kissed Steve's head and held him for another moment longer before taking Vickie out, letting Eddie have a moment with his boyfriend before Steve had to leave again.