0 0 7. b u r n

•••••

•••••

KARI

The moving makeshift trolley comes to an abrupt stop.

I couldn't sit still knowing that there were injured people. Memories from my past would cloud my mind, remembering how my brother and I had been abandoned and had to adapt to the circumstances.

I just knew that I couldn't sit still. I grip the handle bar hard and continue to walk forward, slowly beginning to see disheveled faces.

They were troubled by my presence.

One of the kids took a peek at the mass I was pulling behind me.

I stop, dropping the handle bar and turn toward the filled crates. I put two stacked crates down before them, they were filled with fruit. I carry another one beside the two which had bread. At the sight of the food they begin to come closer.

Stopping a few times, turning to look at each other in disbelief.

I place two other crates filled with water bottles. The last crate I put down has a few water bottles and small boxes of pain relievers, medicinal alcohol, and gauzes.

"Please take this, it's not much but it was all I could get right now."

An old woman covering one of her wrapped arms came forward, scanning the crates and then me. She doesn't reach for them, and I do the only thing I could think of to give her some assurance to reach for them. I walk a few feet backwards, gesturing her to take them.

"Please, I'm not here to hurt you." I plead with her, and them. "I just want to help."

She gives me a tight smile, and a couple men pick up the crates. I don't see the children walk toward me and each grab my hands pulling me further in.

It was a horrible sight the more I walked around the area, following the men and kids who were guiding me through.

Cries, screams of people in agony. I could see some bodies covered by some blankets.

I try not to grimace at the smell, I turn my head a bit as I see a hanged banner.

It had been written over by big red paint and it said 'CHANGE OR DIE'

It can't be.

I gasp at the familiar slogan.

"Over here." A young man around my age nudges me.

We turn almost reaching two young men who were deep in their conversation.

My hand gets patted and I look down at the small child. "That's our big brother." She smiles with pride, "He's our leader."