Valor Part 2

Pairing: Jake x Reader, Daniel x Reader

Word Count: 14.7k

Warnings: Cursin', Smokin', Drinkin', Allusions to Drug Use. Angst: Struggle and Poverty, Emotional Manipulation, Abandonment, Jealousy, Mentions of Violence, Mentions of Weapons, Fighting, Blood, Mentions of Death, Allusions to Suicide, Allusions to Shady Activities, Gambling. Smut: Kissing, Allusions to Sex, Heavy Petting.

HER POV

Danny pulled you by your hand into the back room, darting through a door you hadn't noticed, straight into a room that was too dark to see inside. You followed his lead, trusting him to guide you, as you stepped on unidentified objects, tripping on them as he yanked you right and left through what felt like a broom closet with storage shelves.

Finally, a light bulb illuminated above you, bringing light to the small hidden hallway. He began pulling a big folded piece of thick cardboard from behind one of the shelves, struggling to hold the whole thing by himself. A quick glance from him let you know he needed a hand, so you jumped to action, helping him to remove the bulky and awkward object.

"What the hell is this?" You asked, noticing it was kind of heavy. You both turned it so it was easier to carry, making your way down the rest of the crowded hallway and into a larger room. You worked to place it on a tabletop, watching as Danny flipped the flaps open and revealed a very old, very worn-in poker table topper. "Oh."

"Self-explanatory, huh." He huffed, running back into the storage hallway to grab more items. Shortly, he returned with a few decks of cards, and a larger box that held multicolored poker chips. Again, you watched his hands move quickly, setting up the table with as much precision as he could, given his hands were a bit shaky and his body language seemed more anxious than normal. You stayed standing awkwardly by, wanting to help, but completely unsure how to.

"You know how to do this?" He asked you, glancing up through his thick eyelashes while he worked.

You shook your head quickly, stepping back as you crossed your arms. "No. I don't."

"Fuck. Ok, can you... go gather up a few things from the kitchen and make them presentable on like, a plate or something? I don't know what we have, doesn't matter...crackers, whatever you can find." He ordered, his voice cracked with nerves.

Now that, you could do. "Yes. I'll be back."

You managed to come up with two plates full of Club crackers and pepperoni, two jars of olives, and some butter cookies. You rushed back through the way you came, presenting your buffet to Danny.

"That will have to do." He chuckled as he unfolded a metal chair. When he finished, he stood back and placed his hands on his hips, his body still dirty from the workday.

"Danny, I know I said I wouldn't ask questions, but...should I be scared right now?" You asked, working to pop the top on one of the olive jars.

He sighed heavily, catching his breath as he made his way over to you. "No, no reason to be scared. You're...you're just going to have to bear with us. This was...unexpected, tonight." He took the jar from your hands, spinning the top off with little to no effort at all. He put it back down on the table, and placed his hands on your shoulders, turning you to meet his eyes. "I really am sorry you're accidentally involved in this shit tonight, and I really hope it doesn't change your mind about me..."

"Danny, what the fuck am I about to witness?" You asked, suddenly feeling even more terrified than before. Being in the dark like this was starting to make your face go numb with fear.