Chapter Thirty Seven - Before

Kenna stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom. She carefully made her hair look a little less messy and unorganized. Kenna cursed the fact that today of all days her hair managed to look like a giant bush. After what seemed like hours, Kenna was able to get her hair into two braids. Kenna bit the inside of her cheek and fiddled with the green pendant around her neck. She examined her entire outfit. Her white button up was perfectly clean and there wasn't a single wrinkle in place. Her pants didn't have a single dirt stain on them. Her brown cadet corps jacket was in perfect order. Kenna pushed one of her stray hairs behind her ear before exiting the bathroom. She took a left and almost immediately ran into Marco. She was able to steady herself before she fell back on rear.

"By the walls, Marco," Kenna said. "I didn't see you."

"Sorry," Marco said as he ran his hand through his hair. Kenna could see a few beads of sweat on his hairline and a look of worry on his face.

"What's wrong, Marco?" Kenna asked.

"Can we talk somewhere a little more private?" Marco asked.

A grin grew on Kenna's face as she realized what he was talking about, "Of course."

Her and Marco walked away from the girl's bathroom and towards the balcony in headquarters that looked over the dining area. It would let them see if anyone was coming towards them from a ways away.

"Spill," Kenna said as she looked at Marco.

"I want to tell him how I feel before we head for the interior," Marco said. "But I have absolutely no idea how to even broach the topic or what I'm going to do if he rejects me. Hell, I don't know what I'm going to do if he says that he likes me back." Marco rested his chin on the railing of the balcony. "By the walls, why do feelings have to be so complicated."

"Because that's how feelings work apparently," Kenna said as she patted Marco on the back. "You know that I'm not the best at feelings."

"I know, but you're the only person I can talk to about this, so you're stuck with giving me advice," Marco said. "Besides, you managed to get Reiner to date you, so start giving me advice."

"Well, speaking from experience, running from your feelings does nothing to make them go away," Kenna said. "You just have to tell him how you feel. Nothing is going to make saying that easy, so you just have to do it. How Jean reacts is a reflection on him, not on you."

"What if he hates me after this?" Marco asked. "I don't know what I would do if he told anyone else."

"Find me and I'll take care of it," Kenna said.

"Okay," Marco said as he nodded. He took another breath to steady himself. "I'm going to tell him tonight. I mean, I have to tell him tonight."

"It's going to go the way you want it to, Marco," Kenna said with a smile.

"I don't know if I believe that," Marco said. "But after tonight, I'll know one way or another."

"See, that's the attitude to have," Kenna said as she offered a slap on the back. "I bet you'll tell him and he'll let you know that he's been head over heels in love you with forever."

"I think that's taking it a bit far," Marco chuckled. "But I love your enthusiasm."

"It's what I'm here for," Kenna said with a smile as she leaned on the railing and looked over the hall. "You ready for tonight?"

"We have to be," Marco said.

"I guess you're right," Kenna said. "It's crazy that we're finally here though."

"You're not wrong," Marco said. "It seems like yesterday we were enlisted."

"It truly is crazy how fast time passes," Kenna said. "I wonder how fast it will go I'm face with near death experiences all the time."