Luck in a Compass

John B's pov:

Look, for nine months, they tried to get me to believe my dads dead. They say I'm in denial. Whatever. Denial's underrated. You should try it sometime. It's highly effective, and it's only denial if you're wrong. It doesn't make any sense. My dad is the last guy who would ever get lost at sea. This compass coming back to me, my father's compass, which was passed down for generations, it's a sign. My dad's still alive and I'm gonna find him.

———————————————————————————

Walking into my bosses boat at 5:00am with empty tanks definitely isn't what I was anticipating this summer but here I am.

Walking through the doors immediately see the Kook princess herself sleeping on a couch.

"Wheezie, shut up" she says slowly opening her eyes realising I'm not her little sister. She gasps "your not Wheezie."

I sigh "correct. Yeah." I continue "I'm sorry."

"What are you doing?"

"Uh... dropping off some scuba gear." Staring at her I ask "what are... what are you doing... here?"

"It's our boat." Seeing me still staring confused she continues "it's the only place with air conditioning."

"Right."

"Did you, um... top up the tanks?"

"Uh.." thinking of an excuse I say, "no. No, power's down, so the compressors were off." I clear my throat.

"So, you're sneaking onto our boat at 5:00am with empty tanks?" She eyes me up and down "I'll make sure to tell Ward."

"Okay. Okay."

"Cool. Cool."

"Just drop these off" I say dropping the tanks infront of me.

"Yeah, yeah, middle of the room is fine" she says in a sarcastic tone.

"Yeah, this is pretty much what he told me to do."

"Bye."

"Actually, you know, what... what exactly were you gonna tell your dad?" I ask chuckling.

"Nothing much. Just that you pouched our scuba gear."

"Okay, fuck. I borrowed it for a few hours." I state then continue, "okay? And then I brought it back intact and unharmed."

"Minus air" she adds.

"Look please don't tell him." I plead, "okay? He'll fire me."

"What are you gonna do?" She questions. "Pull a gun on me?"

"I didn't know JJ was gonna do that."

"That's convenient to believe." She scoffs "maybe you should get better friends."

"Well, maybe you should get a better boyfriend."

"Like one who doesn't poach?"

"Look, please, don't tell him." I plead again "okay?"

"Relax" She smiles. "I'm not gonna tell him, your secrets safe with me John B." After holding intense eye contact for what felt like hours she says "okay, you can go now."

"Yeah just one more thing. Is Cassie staying over with Rafe today?"

"Not that I know of why you wanna stalk her now?"

"She's my friend dating your dickhead brother so maybe I'm just trying to look after her."

"Look John B last I heard they had a bit of an argument and didn't talk to each other yesterday but she hasn't told me anything else."