9| The Culinary Arts of the Forest

I really need to get to work on the cover art for this story- but me, lazy-bones over here, haven't had a decent idea for it. What would y'all want? I was thinking something that will work with the plot, regardless of what point the story is at. Although, Coriolanus with a trapper's flap hat would be pretty awesome to see- even if it's just once. Ideas, please!

No POV:

"Yes I'm hungry- did we catch anything??" Coriolanus asks

"There wasn't anything in the traps earlier, but we can check again." Lucy Gray replies as she sharpens Coryo's knife and conceals it in her boot

"Okay, walk with me?"

She stands up and agrees to come along. The first trap is not far from camp, there's nothing in it. "Welp. Let's look at the other ones." Coriolanus prompts- sounding fairly enthusiastic.

A brief silence follows, but it's broken when Lucy Gray becomes curious about his positive demeanor
"You liking it out here?" She asks

...

"Are you kidding?"
...
"I love it out here. It's almost like we have our own little world." He answers with a bright smile

They find the second trap, which has been triggered, although it yields no prize. "No luck?" Coriolanus looks to Lucy Gray, as if waiting for her backup plan.

"Hmmmm..." She scratches her head "Do ya like mushrooms?"

He scours his mind for a memory of trying one, but comes up with no avail. Cabbage soup. Nope, no mushrooms. Leaving the final answer at  "-never had one, but I'd like to try."

...

"I think I saw some over here" Lucy Gray leads him to a shady spot underneath a pine tree.
Coriolanus stands still for a minute, leaving Lucy a bit confused. She follows his gaze and realizes that he's staring at a giant one.

"You okay?"
No answer.
A nudge on the arm gets a response out of him, although it makes her laugh
"Look at that thing! It's as big as my head! ...can I eat it now?"

"I guess you could, but it might taste better after it's boiled-"

...

"Oh, sorry -heh-heh ... I'm just hungry. I don't mean to be impatient or impolite.."

"Pffff- don't worry about it. You apologize too much" Lucy Gray tells him
"Grab a bunch of them and bring them with you. Those ones are edible, remember to ask me before you eat anything else, though. I don't want you to... err- die"

Coriolanus begins in a jokingly sarcastic tone "Awww! You really do care" followed by a giggle, which makes her blush

...

"You're just now finding that out???" She joins in

"I'm very nervous-"
"You can probably tell, most of the time anyways" He adds
"Not nervous because of you- of course not- rather, because of me. I have a great tendency to self-destruct when I feel things are going too good."

"Good to know. I'll snap you out of it. Promise."
"What's a signal I can give that'll tell you everything's okay? Like, if you look all anxious 'n stuff?" Lucy Gray tries to help by giving him some more emotional security.

Getting him to open up will be a crucial step to his happiness, with that goal in mind, she devises a plan to keep him reeled in to reality.

"Hmmm... would you just take my hand? No context needed. Just that. I will ask no questions." Coriolanus suggests