Chapter 21

Emilia

I'm on pins and needles as I pull into the parking lot of Rosie's Diner. The cryptic 5 a.m. text from Jen instantly set me on edge. Not only would she never reach out at that early hour, she would never take time away from the bakery to meet for breakfast on a Monday morning. The more likely explanation is that I'm here at Ben's request, probably for something related to their investigation into Creed.

While I know I'm the one who asked for their help, I didn't consider how knowing the truth might change things. As up in the air as my life has been, I've built up a sense of security amidst the chaos. Like being caught in the eye of a storm, except I allowed myself to grow complacent in the lull. Now I'm terrified that today may be the day it all comes crashing down around me.

Entering the diner, I'm greeted by the early morning sounds and smells of the busy kitchen. The dining room is packed with Ruby Creek residents and a few other unfamiliar faces. My Aunt and uncle first opened this diner 25 years ago, and since then it's become a well-known icon that pulls tourists from the ski towns around us.

What makes it special, aside from the food, is the feel. Walking through the door, it's like you're transported back in time to another era. Despite my aunt's modernization of the decor, the black & white checkerboard tile, bright red stools, and paraphernalia from the 50s help make the illusion complete. Add the old-style jukebox and the 1950s waitress uniforms and it feels as though you've stepped through a time portal.

When I see Aunt Rosie, she gives me a friendly smile, and with a slight nod, she points me toward the private room in the back. Again, the butterflies in my belly rally. Knowing what's waiting for me in that room has me second-guessing if I'm doing the right thing.

For three years I've been stuck, holding onto a past that's long gone, while barely existing in a present where I'm unable to move forward. The reality is I have no choice but to do this. For the sake of my girls, who will soon notice the gaping holes that exist in our lives, I have to know what happened to their father.

With newfound resolve, I take that first step. Walking through the diner, I push away the fear and try to focus on what must be done. When I get to the back room, I take a deep breath at the threshold before turning the door handle and making my way inside.

The private space is quite large, with a capacity to seat groups of up to 40 guests, and it looks even bigger, with only two people waiting inside. When Ben and Lucas see me approach, they stop their conversation. The look on their faces makes me pause, and it's Lucas who stands to come toward me. Dropping a kiss on the top of my head, he then guides me to take the seat next to him. The tension that coils around us confirms I will not be walking out of this room the same person I was when I came in.

"Thank you for meeting us," Ben begins. At the sound of his formal tone, the pressure in my chest intensifies, and I feel like I'm going to be sick. "I'm sorry for making it seem like it was Jen who you were meeting with. Given the concerns over the FBI's involvement, we thought this was the safest way."

"I figured; I know how busy Mondays are for the bakery."

"I wish there was a way to soften this for you, but unfortunately, what we've discovered is time-sensitive and requires hard decisions be made. First, I want to assure you we are experts in this type of thing. We know what needs to happen and how to best proceed. What we need is for you to trust us and allow us to do what needs to be done to keep your family safe."

Keep us safe? From what?

"Um, you're scaring me, Ben."

"I know, I'm sorry. But I won't lie to you, Emilia. The little we know so far is concerning. It's imperative you give us the okay to implement our plan. The first order of business is to make sure you and the girls aren't in any danger."