Chapter 8: Reluctant Steps

As days passed with Tommy by her side at work, Eleanora couldn't shake the responsibility that weighed on her shoulders. Deciding that it was time to seek professional help, she gathered her courage and took Tommy to the local police station.
The decision, though necessary, filled her with reluctance, hoping it would lead to reuniting him with his family.

Entering the station with Tommy in her arms, Eleanora was met with a team of police officers who, to her relief, displayed generosity and cooperation. She approached the front desk, where an officer looked up with a friendly smile.

"Good afternoon. How can we help you?" the officer inquired.

Eleanora hesitated for a moment before explaining the situation. "This is Tommy. I found him a few days ago, and I was hoping you could help us find his family."

The officers, understanding the gravity of the situation, were quick to assist. They took a picture of Tommy and began asking him basic questions. Tommy, still clinging to Eleanora, looked up at the officers with a mix of curiosity and shyness.

"Hey there, buddy. What's your name?" one of the officers asked gently.

Tommy, glancing at Eleanora for reassurance, replied in a soft voice, "Tommy."

The officers continued their inquiry, trying to piece together any information that might lead to finding his family. "Do you know where you live, Tommy?" another officer inquired.

Tommy, his memory seemingly limited, shook his head. Eleanora, providing whatever information she could, explained, "I found him near a trash bin. He couldn't tell me much about where he came from."

The officers nodded in understanding, their professionalism coupled with empathy. They assured Eleanora that they would do their best to help find Tommy's family. Throughout the process, Tommy, still uncertain in this unfamiliar environment, clung tightly to Eleanora.

The officers, recognizing the need for sensitivity, engaged in basic conversations to make Tommy feel more at ease. "Hey, Tommy, do you like superheroes?" one officer asked, trying to draw him into a conversation.

Tommy, still cuddled up in Eleanora's arms, nodded shyly. "Yeah, Spider-Man is my favorite."

The officers shared a smile, and the conversation continued. In those moments, Eleanora appreciated the blend of professionalism and humanity displayed by the police officers.

Despite the uncertainty of the situation, a glimmer of hope emerged as they worked together to unravel the mystery of Tommy's past.

As they left the police station, Eleanora couldn't shake the mixed emotions that enveloped her. The journey to find Tommy's family had begun, and she could only hope that the collaboration with the police would lead to the reunion he deserved.