Chapter 41: Quite and Quake

After the commencement of the event, Eleanora sat on the edge of her bed in her hotel room, staring blankly at the floor.
The soft glow of the bedside lamp cast long shadows across the room, but she hardly noticed. The luxurious room, which usually felt cozy and welcoming, now seemed cold and distant.

Her face still had traces of tears, evidence of her emotional encounter with her older brother.

Shouldn't she find solace in the release of all her bottled up emotions, allowing herself to finally confront her brother with the long-held grievances?

Yet, beneath the surface, a tumult of conflicting feelings persists, as if her heart hesitates to fully embrace the truth: deep down, she is reluctant to fully acknowledge that she still holds him responsible.

The silence was overwhelming,  broken only by the faint hum of the city outside.
Eleanora's mind kept replaying her confrontation with Emmet.

Her every harsh word,
His every tearful plea,
echoed in her mind.
Making her heart ache even more.

But why does it hurt? Hurt so much? It shouldn't, right?

She doesn't have any answer,
It's more like she doesn't want to face it.

"Mommy, did you see all the yummy cakes? There was one with chocolate and strawberries!" Tommy exclaimed, his eyes shining with excitement. He strolled inside the room after having spent some playing time at the play area at the reception with other kids, her team member dropping him off in his room.

He got no response from his mommy, but it didn't stop him from his ramblings.
"I ate so many candies, Mommy. My tummy feels like it's full of bubbles!" He moved his hand rapidly, wanting to explain to his mommy.

Still receiving no reply, he furrowed his brow in confusion. "Mommy?" He called out again, but still, there was no response.
Eleanora had her back turned to him, her gaze fixed on the window, lost in her own thoughts.

He toddled up to her, noticing her distant gaze and lack of sparkle in her eyes, even to his innocent perception.

Without any hesitation, he climbed onto her lap, his little arms wrapping around her neck in a sweet attempt to offer comfort and love to his mommy.

Eleanora, as if finally sensing his presence, immediately enveloped him in her embrace,  as if it were a well-practiced motion. Her eyes remained blank, a sight Tommy wasn't accustomed to. He was used to having his mommy always smiling at him, giving him kisses and paying attention to him.

Yet, he snuggled closer, his tiny arms holding onto her tightly, determined to fill the emptiness with his warmth and affection.

"Mommy, what happened?" He asked in his adorable, curious voice.
Eleanora didn't even glance at his direction. Instead, she tightened her arms around him, still staring blankly at the window.
Her emotions were all over the place, so much that she couldn't see and feel anything other than her thoughts.

"Why are you sad? Mommy, talk to me." Tommy's attempts continued, his voice filled with both innocence and persistence. He gently patted her cheek, trying to get her attention, his concern growing with each passing moment.

A single tear fell from Eleanora's eyes, betraying the emotional facade she had been clinging to. Her resilience broke, and she allowed herself to be vulnerable.
Her words are coming back to her, her conscience mocking her; It's only so much that she could take.

She doesn't really blame her brother, does she?

Feeling Tommy's gentle touch on her face, she blinked, her trance broken, and looked at Tommy.

Tommy smiled, finally having his mommy's attention, "Don't cry, please. I love you, Mommy," he uttered adorably, trying to sound serious.

Her emotional dam finally broke, and she couldn't hold back the flood of tears any longer. With a choked sob, Eleanora buried her face in Tommy's neck, shaking from the force of her crying.

She pulled him closer, seeking solace in the warmth of his embrace, knowing that even in her darkest moments, he would always be there for her.

Tommy was quick to hug his mommy tightly, not quite sure why she was crying, but knowing that he wanted to make her feel better. He whispered softly, "Don't cry, Mommy, please. I love you. I'm here." His voice coming out muffled.

Her face was a mess of tears, eyes red and swollen, as she blabbered through her sobs, her words coming out slurred and unclear.

"I didn't mean to hurt him, Tommy," she cried, pausing to take a breath. "I was so angry and hurt. I was upset, Tommy. I didn't know how else to react."

She sobbed harder, her grip tightening. "I love him, Tommy. I really do. But he hurt me so much. I just couldn't handle it. I feel awful now." She choked on her last words.

Tears streamed down her face as she clung to her son. "He left me all alone, Tommy, when I needed him the most. I was only thirteen. I was all alone."

Her words became more frantic, hiccups raking her entire body.

"You won't leave me, right? You'll stay with me forever, won't you?" She hugged him tight, rocking both of them, afraid if she loosened her grip, her son would leave her too.

Seeing his mommy cry made Tommy emotional, too. His own lips wobbled as he tried to comfort his mother. He wiped her tears with his tiny hands, kissing her cheek in an attempt to calm down his mommy.

His eyes welled up with tears, "No, I won't leave, mommy. Please don't cry." His voice trembled as he spoke softly.

Eleanora just hugged him to her heart's content, finding solace in his innocent promise as they held onto each other in the quiet room.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Unaware of the brewing storm in the Anderson mansion, both found solace in their embrace, their hearts entwined in a moment of peace.