Chapter Six

It was only when her uncle's servant had returned to Linden Hall without her, Katrina found herself confiding in Myra the type of man her uncle was, and what he had tried to do. Which was why she was reluctant to return.

She also explained that Patrick knew, so that was why he had felt so protective over her, not wanting to send her back.

"But I did not want it to turn out like this!" she exclaimed in dismay

"Well its understandable, you not wanting her to go back," Myra conceded addressing Patrick, "But I don't see how you can prevent her aunt and uncle taking her. They have the law on their side, she is their niece, and she is nothing to you"

"I'll figure something out" Patrick replied, frowning thoughtfully

Myra shook her head, "You are not thinking straight. Apart from the fact of her uncle, she can't stay here under your roof. It wouldn't be decent. Think of your reputations," she then pointed out, "How's it going to look you living with a young girl on your own, I know your intentions are good, even honourable, but other people won't see it like that. The local tongues will be wagging, saying all sorts of things"

"Myra is right" Katrina realised "It would be an impossible situation"

"Aye" Myra agreed, "It was bad enough they were talking against you when you came back to Ireland after the war with your Spanish wife in tow, and now you are going to give more ammunition for the local gossips, you will find yourself even more ostracised" she reminded him

"Y'know, I don't give a damn what they say or think about me" Patrick stated

"Then maybe you should give a damn about what they will think of Katrina," Myra replied indignantly, "Don't you think she has been through enough?"

Patrick frowned again, but didn't get a chance to reply, as the sound of horses hooves drawing near caught their attention

Katrina hurried over to the window, "It's him, my uncle and he has two of his servants with him!" She realised she was now trembling

Patrick went to the window to see for himself, "Of course, I had an idea he would not come alone, he is too much of a coward who likes to prey on innocent young women" he remarked with a twisted smile

Katrina clutched Patrick’s arm, "Oh please Patrick I don't want anything to happen to you. Maybe it's would be better if I go with him.. there is no other way" she said in desperation

"Yes there is," Patrick replied after a moment of thoughtful deliberation, his eyes resting on her intently, "You could become my wife"

Katrina just stared at him open mouthed, not sure she had heard, or understood him right

"Patrick grabbed her by the shoulders, his face suddenly lit up, as his new idea took hold, and became a possibility in his mind.

"Listen to me Katrina, I am willing to marry you and give you my protection to live under my roof. Our marriage will be in name only. That way no one can say or do anything, and your honour will remain intact," he explained happily, "I am offering you a way out Katrina, a way where you will have a home and someone to look out for you.. I am sorry I cannot replace the life you had before, but I promise I will take care of you" he stated urgently.

Katrina stared into his green eyes, seeing the urgent sincerity knowing this man meant what he said. But marrying him? She could not get her head around the idea.

The sound of her uncle banging on the front door made her almost jump out of her wits.

"I need you to let me know before I open the door Katrina," Patrick then told her, "I need to be able to face your uncle and tell him you won't be going back with him, because you are staying with me and becoming my wife. So just say yes"