Chapter Ten

At first she couldn't see Patrick when she dashed out of the door. But then the flickering flames behind her caught her attention.

She turned, and was overcome with relief to see the silhouette of large his frame, attempting to put the fire out, smothering the growing flames, beating it with his coat and stamping on it with his feet

She ran over to him, "Oh God! Are you alright?" she exclaimed worriedly

"Yes, go get some water!" Patrick ordered her urgently

She did so, knowing that for the moment the fire was small and seemed contained,

But still, it very near the side of the barn. If it caught fire there would be no stopping it.

She went over to the water pump and hastily filled the bucket sitting next to it, to throw over the flames, her heart hammering in her chest ,as she rushed back over, handing it to him.

Luckily they manage to put the fire out before it spread any further, much to her relief

She was thoroughly shaken after the experience.

Still frightened, thinking what might have happened, she threw herself at Patrick, clinging to him, feeling the familiarity of his warm body, which she realised was still very much alive and unhurt, bringing much comfort to her.

"W-When I couldn't see you, and I heard those shots.. I thought something had happened to you" she exclaimed, "I was so scared!"

"It's alright I am fine, really," Patrick replied, his arm going around her, his eyes busy scanning the area of the bushes and tree's, "I think they are gone now"

"Who were they?" Katrina demanded, "D-did you know them?"

"Not personally, but I have a good idea" Patrick replied grimly

"W-Why would they do this?" Katrina then demanded in bewilderment, looking at the smouldering ground at their feet

"They were just sending me a little message," Patrick said, "Letting me know where I stand"

Katrina just stared at him questioningly as he led her back towards the cottage

Once they were inside, Patrick sighed, putting down his rifle, he rubbed the back of his neck before speaking

"Earlier today I was approached by, what you could call an Irish freedom fighter," he started to explain, "He wanted me to do him a favour, Hide guns belonging to him and his comrades at my place for a future little venture,. It seems because I joined the British army, he thought it was time I showed where my loyalties lay, now I was back in Ireland"

"I see," Katrina replied, her legs suddenly weakening and she sat down in the nearest chair.

"But I refused, I told him to find somewhere else to hide his guns, but he wouldn't be using my place. He was not a happy man"

"Oh Patrick," Katrina murmured, realising his stance could be viewed as brave or stupid, and it obviously had put his life in danger.

"Don't get me wrong," Patrick looked over at her, "I have no more love more for the English than they do, and would gladly see the back of them out of Ireland. But I don't believe violence is the answer," he said frowning, "I have seen enough of wars, and their so called glory and what it does to men. I want to put that all behind me"

He moved his large frame wearily into the chair opposite her, "War is a nasty business Katrina believe me, and as much as I despise the English rule, I also cannot forget that I also fought side by side with English men as my comrades and friends. So I do not think all English deserve to die"

he sat forward, hoping she could understand as he went on to explain,

"The man who was my Captain, was an English officer, Captain Clayton. He was a good man, he saved me from getting a flogging, and he taught me how to read and write. He even helped got me promoted to sergeant. We looked out for each other right through the whole damned war, I could not ask for a better friend.. Things like that stay in my head.. I will always owe him, and I will never forget how he stuck his neck out for me"

"He sounds like a good man," Katrina replied, "I am glad he was there to look out for you"

"Yes," Patrick nodded with a small ironic smile, "But he is also the reason I find myself torn between loyalty to my country, and that of my friends"

Katrina moved from her chair to come and kneel beside Patrick, putting her hand over his as she looked up at him, "You are the type of man who follows what your heart tells you to do, even when it is not a popular decision. But that does not make you wrong, I think it shows a great strength" she told him.

"Maybe," Patrick conceded, but he was not totally convinced, "I love this country Katrina, but at moments like this, I find myself despising it. Sometimes I feel I should never have returned after the war, it might have been easier. I might still have my wife and child" he said bleakly as he frowned into the dying embers of the fire.

Katrina, moved by this man's compassion loyalty and pain, reached up to stroke his cheek, looking into his eyes to let him know she understood.

She wished to help him in someway to ease his burden.

No words were spoken between them, there was no reason for them.

They were drawn together by some invisible force of some inner need, wanting something from each other. Patrick lowered his face closer to hers, his eyes showing the open desire.

Katrina felt his lips touch hers, she met them with a willing response, savouring and analysing the sensation of his mouth and tongue exploring hers, and finding it very appealing, eager to have more. Happy to get lost in the heat that was building up between them, as she pressed herself closer to him.

Patrick let out a little groan, feeling the desire rising in him It was something he had not felt in a while, not since Juanita...

It was then his dead wife's face flashed before him, and he suddenly pulled away from Katrina, realising what he was doing, "I am sorry.. I shouldn’t have done that" he told her, his voice a little ragged.

Katrina was still a little dazed from the new found emotions swirling around inside her to reply.

She could still feel the taste of Patrick's mouth on hers, and the powerful affect it had on her body. She just stared at him in slight bewilderment, not understanding what had went wrong, and why he had pulled away.

Gaining full control of his senses, Patrick rose to his feet, "I think I better go and check on the animals and see if they are alright after the fire, make sure they are settled for the night" he then said.

"Of course," Katrina replied faintly, letting him escape.

She realised that whatever had just happened between them had come to an end, and Patrick had decided to shut himself away from her again..

It left her feeling strangely bereft and cold.