Chapter Eight

Unaware that Katrina had followed and had been watching him, Patrick remained by the graveside of his first wife and his five year old son. They had been buried together within days of each other, it had broken his heart.

When he had sent Katrina to bed earlier, he had become restless.

Being dressed up in his old army uniform had only stirred up memories of his first wife.

He was torn, thinking of the past and then that of his future, which had suddenly changed with the new responsibility of Katrina.

The reason why he had come out here, to think and try and clear his head.

In his heart he still believed he had done the right thing marrying Katrina. But now he was pondering how they would deal with each other.

He had solved the problem of saving her from her lecherous uncle, but in doing so, realised had also created more daunting problems.

Would she be happy and contented being his wife and living under his protection?

There were so many differences between them, apart from the fact she was considerably younger than himself, she would be only turning twenty this year and he was already thirty two.

She also came from a different class and background, even though she was penniless when he had married her. There was a wide gap to bridge between them

He had also discovered more about her recent background before their wedding, including the fact she had been engaged to Lord Gilson's son, Paul.

If Katrina's father had still been living with the charade that he was a wealthy man, Katrina's future would have still been secure, and she would have had quite a different marriage, One of wealth and luxury, something that she had been probably more used to

He could never offer her what Lord Gilson's son would have. . Patrick just hoped she could adjust, and not regret marrying him in her haste to escape her aunt and uncle.

His intentions had been to make her life easier, not harder. Which was why he was still wondering if he had done the right thing. But then he had little choice.

.

He had promised her he would take care of her. How could he back out of that promise and desert her like everyone else had done recently? So he had gone through with the marriage, hoping for the best.

Right now, he knew she was very grateful to him, just happy to have some sort of security

What the future held beyond that was uncertain.

Yes, he could never give her what Lord Gilson's son might have, or the life she had before that. But he could make sure would she would never go hungry or unclothed, and try to make her comfortably happy. He just hoped it was enough

He stared at the wooden cross where he had carved Juanita's name. Now wondering if she would have approved of his actions, or understood his motives, in his decision to marry Katrina?

Recalling the sweet face and lovely smile and generous nature of his first wife, he was comforted that she would.

*********************************************

Patrick had been right in his concern about Katrina settling into her new life, which was very different to her old one, and suddenly she realised how daunting it was.

She had been raised in a home with servants to do her every task and take care of her needs. She never had to wash or cook or clean, or concern herself with such menial work. Yet as Patrick’s wife she realised these were the very skills that were needed.