Life Goes On

With Shadow defeating Orochimaru the attacking forces fled and the Leaf started finding its dead. The Otsutsuki had discovered that his squad managed to beat back the Jinchuriki, a child named Gaara, and so after the Leaf recovered he took them out to eat. "Shadow where were you?" Naruto's question made the man look at him. He had his squad plus Maki and Kushina. The redhead opened her mouth to speak but Shadow smiled. "I had my own home to defend Naruto. I may be a Leaf shinobi but I have my own people to look after and they were attacked by the one who instigated what happened a few days ago. Besides from what I'm told you guys did great." Shadow looked at Maki who was barely eating and he nudged him. "What's the matter?" Maki looked at his brother who was looking at him intently. "I couldn't do much besides stall." Shadow nodded. "You blame me for sealing your chakra?" Maki shook his head. "I am committed to showing you I'm serious about being a family. I just wish I could've done more then stand guard while you saved the dragons and me." Shadow just chuckled. "Maki you stalled Orochimaru long enough for me to arrive. Sometimes that's all you need to do. Besides I talked with Minato and we decided to trust you some more." Shadow released the seal on Maki making him look at Shadow in surprise. "We decided to give you some more freedom however I also decided you will be a part of Team Seven in my place. So you will have to learn and grow alongside the Genin." The three kids looked at Maki who looked like he was about to die. "So your Shadow's younger brother? I'm Naruto Uzumaki!" Maki was quickly swarmed by the three asking him questions which made Kakashi and Kushina chuckle. "So how's the life of a hero Shadow?" Kakashi's question made Shadow sigh. "It's horrible I can't even go down the street without getting swarmed by people." Shadow shivered. "Don't get me started on the fangirls and fanboys." Kushina and Kakashi started laughing while the others looked confused. "Shadow use to make fun of Kakashi for his fangirls and now he is getting the same treatment." Kakashi started teasing Shadow which made him pout. "Hey Shadow do you have a moment?" Shadow glanced up to see Itachi walking to them. "Big Brother!" Sasuke smiled and Itachi smiled back before looking at Shadow. "What's up Itachi?" Shadow saw the serious look and he got up. "Excuse me guys order whatever I have a lot of money saved up." Itachi lead Shadow outside and the two started walking. "We've received word that the Sand is about to collapse because of the assault on the Leaf a few days ago. Lord Minato wants a team to go to the Sand and negotiate a new treaty with them." Shadow nodded before looking at Itachi. "Let me guess he wants me to go as the one who negotiates the treaty?" Itachi nodded. "Yes with me and my squad as your escorts. The other nations know of you and they'll listen to you easier then anyone else." Itachi saw Shadow think it over before shaking his head. "Nah I'm going to bring Team Seven with me. This would be a good experience for them. Besides bringing the squad who beat their Jinchuriki will show them we are serious." Itachi chuckled. "What having the man who can tame the Nine Tails isn't enough to be serious?" Shadow laughed at Itachi before going to Minato to talk about the change in plans. After the Hokage agreed Shadow went to inform his squad and they went to get ready. "Why are you really bringing us Shadow?" Shadow looked at Maki. "Because I want you guys to learn about a village other then the one we live in. Broaden your views and the world. I've travelled all over before the Five Nations were a thing and I want to know what they are like myself. Besides I want to talk to their Jinchuriki about Shukaku." Maki nodded. "Isn't the Shukaku inside the boy the one you made?" Shadow nodded then summoned his Tail Beasts. "So we are going to go meet my doppelganger?" Shukaku asked and Shadow nodded before looking at Azak. "Your responsible for them. If anything happens to them while we are over there it's your problem." The dragon nodded and he climbed on Shadow's head. "You guys better be on your best behavior or else." Shadow looked at the two foxes who froze. Shadow had changed Malakai's fur color to brown so they could be identified easier. "If you guys start trouble I'll rip every single strand of your fur off your body get me?" The foxes nodded and the others felt sorry for them. "Alright let's go then." Team Seven met up and after Naruto got excited to see Malakai again the group set off. "Shadow where do we set up camp?" It had started to turn to night when Kakashi spoke up and Shadow had the group follow him into the forest. He looked at some trees before using the Wood Style to make a house in the trees. "This way we won't be attacked as easily." Shadow had everyone climb up and he left a few traps all over before joining his group. "So where did you find Maki?" Maki heard Sasuke's question and he looked at Shadow. "A few days prior to the attack I was tracking Maki down because he belonged to a group of rogues that want to destroy the world. Well I found him and after a few meet ups I learned about his past. I told all my students anyone who's willing to listen is a potential friend and Maki listened to me. So I took a leap of faith and chose to become the brother he wanted. I know it'll be a long while before he's accepted into the Leaf but what kind of family gives up on one another? Besides if he turns out to be a threat to the Leaf I'll end him." Shadow just grins cheekily at Maki who huffs. "But seriously guys he may have been part of that group but he wasn't one of them. Maki was just given bad advice is all." Maki felt warmth bloom in his chest hearing Shadow. "So your like Shadow Maki?" Maki looked at the kids when Naruto asked. "No I'm weaker then Shadow and he knows more about this world then I do. I'm still learning what it means to have a family." Maki saw Naruto and the other two look at each other before Naruto smiled like a dork. "Well you seem nice enough to me! I'd be happy to be your brother!" Shadow chuckled seeing Maki's surprised expression. "It means he's welcoming you into our family Maki." Maki smiled a little before the other two kids nod in agreement to Naruto.