9 • This is even more to take in

《Y/n L/n pov》

"Alright, finally feeling a hundred percent." Nico spoke while stretching.

It took about an hour before all of his wounds and fatigue went away. Still, it looks like vampire blood it pretty useful.

"You ready to head in?" He asked me.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I answered.

After the flood of memories I vaguely began to remember what was down there. The other kids and I were occasionally sent down and had our blood drawn. There were also times when there were people we didn't recognize down there with us. They would often talk about us like we were products to be sold off.

"Let's get going then."

"Wait. I remember that their are guard dogs down there." I informed.

"Guard dogs? They'd be dead if they were down there for five years. Especially if that vamp was down there with them." Nico reasoned.

"If they were normal dogs.... These guys are... weird, to say the least."

"Weird how?" He questioned.

"They have red teeth and fur, with glowing eyes and weird glowing orange markings on them." I explained.

"...Shit."

Huh? Why does he sound worried about them?

"Is that... a problem?"

"Well, you just described a hellhound. They only appear when there's demonic activity. So on top of vampires, this orphanage also had ties to demons."

...Just what was going on when this place was still around?

"Are we still going in?" I asked.

"....I will be going in alone." He stated. "They're too dangerous for you to come in with me, and I really don't feel like putting this off another day."

"So I'll be here... by myself?"

"Just for a bit."

Still not very reassuring.

"...Just hurry, please." I muttered.

"Don't worry. It shouldn't take long."

I just sigh in acceptance and watch him enter the basement.

I guess I just wait now.
.
.
.
.
.

After about 10 minutes, I kinda start to worry.

How long is 'just for a bit'? How big is the space down there? Is he okay? Should I run? Should I check on him?

I walk towards the hatch and contemplate what to do.

But, before I could decide, I feel a tap on my shoulder.

I quickly take a step foward and turn my body. The person I see is... Ethan?

"Uh, hey." He awkwardly greeted.

Why is he here? I know he's a supernatural, and he knows that I know.... Is he here to take me while Nico is gone?!

"You look confused." He held is hands up like he was surrendering . "Let me explain. I'm not here to kidnap you or anything like that." He clarified.

"...Then why are you here? Why wait until Nico was gone?" I questioned.

"The Strix's have little tolerance for supernaturals of any kind. I was afraid that he would attack me the moment he saw me." He explained.

That checks out.

"I can understand that.... So why are you here?"

"Just to talk with you while you're alone. And just to assure you, I'm not with the vampires."