Chapter Thirteen: Anticipation

Hours turned to days as Citrine hung spread eagle in the air, chains pulled tightly at her wrists and ankles. Thirst marked her lips, dry and split like unwatered earth. Her stomach growled with hunger, her muscles ached from their positions.  Her field eyes looked down at the vampire spawn beneath her. A horse whisper fell from her mouth "Leave, Liliana." Her words were crumbled and distorted though firm. The spawn's scarlet eyes glared at the elf, turning her back she walked away from battered Citrine shaking her curled locks. 

As if the fates were granting Citrine mercy from the suffering she put on herself a shocked yelp and gurgled cry rang from the chambers that circled her position. Liliana's eyes shot to hers as she scurried up and hidden away. The sounds of blades hitting blades and cries from those she had set into positions to die for her scheme rang throughout the ritual room. 

A blast of radiant light flew out from Shadowheart's chest circling her filling the darkened room with a sweet golden light. "Karlach to your left!" the great axe swung down, a glowing blue shield blocked it before it could meet Karlach's flesh, a blast of purple rang on the hooded man who had swung knocking him down. 

"Ra'stil keep aware." hissed Lae'zel, as she swung her sword at another servant of Bhaal. The group cut through the hoard of cultist, they moved with years of knowing. Anticipating the other's movements, Wyll may of not held the power's he once had with Mizora but his blade moved with swiftness and purpose, he, Lae'zel and Karlach cleared most of the way forward as the others covered the sides and back. A pile of bloodied cultist littered the floors as Gale wiped the sweat from his brow. 

"Where is she?" Astarion's voice was filled with rage and pain as the other's watched him dagger to cultist throat, the cultist laughed. 

"Serving Bhaal, she will bleed until there is not a drop left in her and Orin will rise once more taking her rightful place." The human spat blood filled spit at Astarion. "Killing us only gives the Lord more pow-" the dagger slid gracefully across his skin and his words gurgled as blood spilled out. 

"We need to find her, now." the room was eerily quiet. The sounds of the dying faded into the deep abyss and the only thing left to be felt was Astarion's rage. The group followed him, as he made his way through the emptied halls, a sudden stop. 

Citrine hung high in the air, her head hung unnaturally. From their distance they could still see the bruises that covered her body, the deep gapping wounds that littered her. Astarion's eyes swept to the chains that held her, seeing them securely looped and pulled taught around the pillars surrounding her. He ran the other's followed suit, a sudden sweeping of her limp body and a soft thud as she fell into the arms of Karlach. 

"Its  nice to see you again soldier."