Chapter 15: 1st Christmas

I'll Remember

Chapter 15

1st Christmas

A few weeks later

Penny sat just under the small christmas tree in the corner. A sleeper that said 'my first christmas' adorned her frame. Not only was it comfy, it was functional, and warm. She was moving now...or rather she thought she was going fast. She'd crawl a few feet before planting herself on the ground and look up at her uncle for approval. The presents sat under the tree, but were empty boxes she could play with. Her real presents were just out of her reach on the desk.

"Lookit you!" Ren said as she sat down under the tree and held out a candy cane.

"Is that wise?" John asked. Ren giggled and shook her head.

"Its just a candy cane that she can cut her teeth on. Nothing more...plus I did this with both my kids. They loved it...well except my youngest he didn't like anything except frozen burritos, and fries. He was a weird one. Most kids love mac and cheese and nuggets." She said as she put down a box near the door.

"Uh oh...we got presents from Dr. Ren." He looked at the boxes. There were three.

"This ones for Penny, and this ones for you...and this one...is from the good professor to Penny...but she can't have it till she's old enough to reach the keyboard on your computer." Ren said. John looked baffled.

"Why?" John asked. Ren shrugged her shoulders and pushed the present toward Penny who was just chewing the corner.

"I expect the doctor gave her something electronic then. I mean she probably could play with it now, but she'd uh...get it wet." She held up the box that was soaked on the corner.

"I see..." He chuckled as he helped Penny open the box. Books lined the box, but there was also a stuffed dog in the middle of it.

"His name is Bookmark. He guards your books." The stuffed dog jumped up and yipped softly. "Its a guard dog...I called him Brain."

"Ah, lots of bedtime stories in here." John chuckled watching Penny throw her arms in the air and squealed loudly at her surprise. Technically this was what she did when she got presents...or not presents. She just liked opening boxes.

"You too." She smiled pointing out the much thinner box. John chuckled. He hadn't gotten a present in some time. He and his sister just took each other out to lunch.

Within was a tan jacket, hat with a pair of pants, shirt, and shoes.

"Hey, a hat!" He put it on and smiled.

"They're designed for you to be able to inspect in. The hat functions and opens along with you. Your jacket has a few features too. There's a small manual inside so you can..." She cleared her throat. "Are you listening to me?...you need to read the manual..." There was a ding coming from John's hand.

"Oh my super secret phone." He pulled out the wire and leaned in. "Where?" He opened the back window and saw the chief covered in snow looking more like a snowman.

"How long have you been out there?"

"Claw has begun to poke his nose where it doesn't belong again Gadget, and we believe we found the professor." Holding out a piece of paper to John.

"Musical instruments had begun to disappear worldwide from concert halls. Claw is suspected, find out what's going on and report back. This message will self-destruct." John wadded up and threw the paper out the window then closed it. A thick plumb of smoke wafted in from the cracks. "I understand chief. From now on, I'm always on duty."

END