Chapter 7: Wait

I'll Remember

Chapter 7

Wait...

John sat on the bus with Penny in his arms. He ran his fingers over the place where he saw the panel slide over. What part of him was actually him now? She said 87%...machine?

He felt the soft squirm in his arms as Penny woke up. It was about time for her to, dinner was soon and she seemed to be just as hungry as he was. Too bad she couldn't have the same foods as he did yet. Oh but when that time came he would make such a feast and there would be a home to have it in. He smiled kindly down at her as she looked up at him. Her fingers roamed over his face, her own smile apparent along her features.

"You know Inspector, if I didn't know any better I'd swear she was yours." John looked up to see Chief Quimby walking onto the bus sitting behind him. John turned to look at him. In his hands was a bag with flour, sugar, and eggs.

"I find myself wishing she was. She's so..." He couldn't find the words to display how he felt about her. It was more a feeling that couldn't be explained. How did one explain the swell of satisfaction he feels when he sees her smile, or when he watches her sleep peacefully, or even when she plays with his fingers. Its small things really...but to him they were the best treasure he could have been given by her.

"Oh I understand. I have a son you know." Ah yes he does. "So how was the appointment with the good Doctor." Quimby asked, packing his pipe tight using his thumb.

"She was...mean..." Quimby chuckled and shook his head.

"Not mean, efficient. You have to see it from her point of view. Losing one's family so suddenly and not having anyone to hold onto can make anyone bitter." Quimby told John. John remembered the newspaper clipping.

"I saw a newspaper clipping that said three people died and one survived." John said, rubbing Penny's back. He was so glad to have her, she had survived along with him...well sort of. He wouldn't count whatever he was living.

"According to reports it was raining, her husband lost control and the car hit a few trees before wrapping around another. Her husband and youngest died instantly. Ren just like you was thrown from the car, her eldest was pinned to the tree. From what she said she stumbled over to the car on the stump of a leg...only half there. Just so her eldest wasn't alone when he died. We found her singing to him when we got there. He had already passed." John couldn't help but swallow hard. He had expected her to be a bitter woman, but in reality she was so sad. John decided to do something Ren had said to do. Something that shouldn't hurt...right?

"But...what really happened?" Quimby slowly looked up over the seat as he heard John. His eyes narrowed at him as he leaned forward.

"Claw..." He whispered before standing up. "Happy Thanksgiving. Make sure she eats a lot." He tipped his hat to them as he exited the bus.

There was that name again, Claw...just who was that person and why did the name bore a hole in his subconscious? There was something there within his memory that he couldn't scrap out.

John slowly stood up and walked off the bus. A few streets down was their destination. The whole block smelled of nice foods. Walking up to the door John knocked on it. He felt a certain sense of foreboding.

The door opened and there stood Dr. Holiday. Her usual boistruse nature had him wondering just what happened between her and her sister. Her sister could use her right now.

"Good afternoon, Gadget." She smiled brightly at the man. Her teeth had a bit of something between them and he knew perfectly well he was going to stare at it all evening.