Chapter Seven: Slow-Ho-Ho-Ho

Cade Windsor

When you're left with no choice but to play the part you found yourself in, you endure it. It wasn't a hardship, not by a long shot, but it was devastating to my heart. It crushed my soul, tore apart my heart, and left me with the aftermath.

Yet, I still put my head on Ace's shoulder while he conversed with his family. I had my eyes closed, letting go of all stray conversation, and found myself leaning into the comfort of him. It was like taking a freshly sharpened knife to my heart and plunging it. Twisting. Twisting.

Regardless of how right this felt for me, I knew it would never be returned. The last three days following Ace's hurt feelings were more of this. More of the elf. More of him doing things with me during a holiday he hated.

I knew better than to get used to it, but I would soak it in. It was all I would have left in the end.

Ace curled an arm over my shoulders and pulled me closer. I knew this was all for show, so why was he so good at it? Why did he want me curled against him? We didn't have to put on this kind of show in front of anyone. We didn't have to hardly touch at all. Not to get the point across.

Asher was right—my heart was going to take severe damage.

Four perfectly timed knocks sounded on the front door across the room. I snapped my eyes open and found Carter's widened gaze on me already. We knew who that was. I had given him all the information he needed to get here, and the rest was up to him. I was almost worried he wouldn't show up at all, yet he proved me wrong.

When I glanced around, Asher seemed to be the only one on a little bit of alert. No one stood. They hardly heard the sound, that or they weren't bothered by it. It wasn't my house, but I knew who it was, so I unraveled myself from around Ace and met Carter, who stood with me.

He hooked his arm with mine, and we stepped around the family as we made our way to the door. It wasn't supposed to be nerve-wracking. Not seeing our brother. But it was. We never knew what to expect when it came to him.

Still, I reached for the door and opened it—seeing the last mirror in my funhouse standing on the other side. He wasn't smiling. There was hardly light in his eyes anymore. After everything that has gone on, I couldn't blame him.

We all stood there, staring at each other. Something about this parallel hurt the deepest parts of me. It reminded me of the times when everything was good. When we were happy to be with one another. When we only had each other.

Times have changed.

"Cameron." I finally said. "I hope your flight was well."

My brother nodded. "It was fine. How...are you two?"

This was absolutely awkward, and my meter was already full. "I'm alright."

Carter cleared his throat, still holding onto my arm for dear life. "I am doing fine."

"Good." Cameron shuffled awkwardly on his feet. "Sorry to intrude on your Christmas. I only wanted to let you know I was here and see you for a moment. I won't impede on—"

"Nonsense!" Melody called from behind me. "Get in here, copy-and-paste boy! We were only talking about our plans for tonight, and you're invited."

Cameron glanced over our shoulders, and for one moment, his eyes widened. "What is...Alastair's boss doing here for Christmas?" He asked quietly.

I furrowed my brows. "He doesn't have any living family, and we didn't want to leave him alone. He works too hard. Plus, he's very nice to me and one of my friends."