⁶³ 𝓋𝑜𝓁𝓊𝓃𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓇

The day of the reaping arrived in District 5, casting a pall of gloom over the usually bustling streets. The air hung heavy with sadness, and even the constant hum of the power plants seemed to murmur a melancholic tune. Dark clouds loomed overhead, threatening rain that mirrored the somber mood that had settled upon the district.

Rosemary couldn't shake the heaviness in her chest as she navigated through the dreary streets, the raindrops serving as silent witnesses to the despair that clung to District 5. The buzz of conversation had a muted quality, as if the entire district mourned in anticipation of the impending tributes, sacrificial lambs in the Capitol's relentless Hunger Games.

With each step, Rosemary felt the weight of her impending fate press down on her shoulders. She knew, deep down, that she would be the only eligible female tribute from District 5. The twisted lottery system seemed determined to select her, leaving behind a family already burdened by hardship. Porter, her dearest friend and a mother to two children, still suffered from a lingering back injury. Her husband, weighed down by the demands of their struggling life, looked on helplessly.

Rosemary wrestled with the truth – the reality that she had no chance of saying a proper goodbye to her makeshift family. The Capitol's cruelty extended beyond the arena; it severed the bonds between loved ones, leaving aching voids that may never be filled.

As the rain intensified, Rosemary's thoughts turned to Haymitch. Did he, too, stand where she stood now, forced into the ruthless arena to fight for survival? The possibility haunted her as she walked through the wet streets, her mind weaving through the threads of the past and present.

In the midst of the rain-soaked misery, Rosemary sought solace in her memories of Haymitch. She imagined him navigating the treacherous terrain of the arena, wondering if he, too, had felt the same fear and uncertainty that gripped her heart. The district's grim atmosphere only deepened her connection to the victor, a shared understanding of the horrors that awaited the chosen tributes.

As the time for the reaping neared, Rosemary found herself standing among a sea of faces, each bearing the weight of their own fears and anxieties. The rain, unrelenting in its descent, seemed to wash away the last traces of hope. Yet, midst the despair, Rosemary clung to a spark of resilience, a determination to face the Capitol's cruel games with courage and defiance.

The reaping square awaited, a foreboding stage where destinies would be altered and lives forever changed. Rosemary took a deep breath, feeling the cool rain on her face. In that moment, she steeled herself for the inevitable, drawing strength from the untold stories of those who had come before her. The echoes of Haymitch's journey resonated in the air, a silent reminder that survival in the Hunger Games demanded more than skill; it required an unyielding spirit willing to defy the odds.

"Welcome, welcome, citizens of District Five," the mayor spoke into the microphone. His words were familiar to everyone present. "This years' different, as we celebrate the Third Quarter Quell, and the 75th annual Hunger Games."